Virginia's Growth Drives Effort to Change Tax System
- In State of the State, Texas' Perry Puts a Positive Spin on Recession. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;1/28/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33050, p3
The article reports on the statement of Texas Governor Rick Perry regarding a positive economic condition of the state in the midst of recession. He said that the state's fiscal restraint has been in good shape compared to other states and encourage lawmakers to stay the course. He asked...
- TAXING STATES. // Practical Accountant;May2000, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p6
Presents a graph reflecting a sample of the highest and lowest per-capita state taxes collected per $1,000 of income in the United States.
- Indianapolis budget would include tax cut, debt service. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;09/28/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30487, p12
Reports that the city of Indianapolis, Indiana will adopt a $464 million budget that includes tax reduction and debt service. Amount of planned debt service; Amount planned for capital improvement projects; City's credit rating; Planned issuance of revenue bonds by the Indianapolis Local Public...
- Trendlines--a provincial budget summary. Patterson, Sue // CMA Magazine;Sep97, Vol. 71 Issue 7, p34
Focuses on the tax changes affecting the budget in several provinces in Canada for the 1997-1998 fiscal year. Personal tax rate cuts; Tax changes in Quebec Province; Capital tax changes; Retail sales taxes; Payroll taxes.
- Capping rules hit districts as mets face 30% tax hike. Wild, Damian // Public Finance;12/08/95, p2
Reports a cut in the standard spending of the local governments in Great Britain. Implications of the review of support grant settlement for local budget; Projected increase in council taxes; Effects of tight spending controls.
- Education spending boost blamed for high tax rises. Harding, David // Public Finance;03/14/97, p2
Discusses the council budgets in Great Britain for 1997/98. Rise in council tax bills; Majority of biggest increase of council taxes in the metropolitan councils; Reflection of government requirement to spend more on education; Low council taxes set by the Welsh unitary councils; Councils with...
- County seeking one-cent tax hike. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);8/21/2014, Vol. 25 Issue 34, p1
The article elaborates on a proposal by county commissioners in Donley County, Texas to raise the tax rate by one-cent to support a fiscal year 2015 budget of 2.175 million dollars, which is 63,000-dollars more than the 2014 budget.
- State Spending Increases May Make Next Year's Budget Even Worse. Ward, Robert B. // Business Journal (Central New York);5/30/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 22, p27
Comments on issues related to taxation and state budget in New York. Reduction in the labor force; Budget gap; Effect of the budget reduction on the public.
- City passes tax increase. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);10/2/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 40, p1
The article reports that the Whitney City Council in Texas has passed the budget and a tax increase for year 2013 to 2014 on September 27, 2013, with council members Sam Pierce, Robert Ross, and Robin Sliva voting in favor of both measures.