Counties With Settlement Funds Weigh Jumping in Pools
- In the Midst of Market Lows, Florida Scrambles to Protect Tobacco Money. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;04/11/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30868, p6
Describes Florida officials' efforts to securitize the state's tobacco settlement in light of weak Florida bond market. Aim to protect tobacco settlement revenues from the effects of pending litigation; Alternatives being explored by the state's Working Group on Preserving the Tobacco Settlement.
- Tobacco Pipeline Filling Up. Musero, Frank // Private Placement Letter;09/18/2000, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p4
Reports on the tobacco settlement securitization transactions in the United States (U.S.). Tobacco securitization deal of Alabama; Size of the tobacco deal from Chautauqua County, New York led by Morgan Stanley Dean Witter; Tobacco securitization deal from Alaska Housing Finance Corp.; U.S....
- Attorney: Tobacco Bond Sale Boost for Rhode Island. Burton, Paul // Bond Buyer;3/20/2015, Vol. 1, p1
Rhode Island's $621 million sale of tobacco settlement asset-backed bonds two months after a state judge cleared the deal was a huge boost for the Ocean State, said an attorney involved with the case.
- Smoke could be clearing for tobacco ABS. A. P. // Asset Securitization Report;1/30/2006, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p6
The article reports that, in 2005, over $5 billion in tobacco settlement asset-backed securitization came to the market in the United States, compared with no issuance in the past year. Such increase in issuance is spurred by a series of positive litigation rulings and low interest rates. Fitch...
- Despite arbiter's ruling, tobacco bonds expected to meet April payment. D. M. // Asset Securitization Report;4/3/2006, Vol. 6 Issue 13, p6
The article highlights an arbiter's ruling in the U.S. that might prompt several tobacco firms to reduce pending April 2006 payments to states under the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement (MSA). The potential shortfall is expected to adversely affect the scheduled turbo payments on asset-based...
- Texas counties join state's settlement with big tobacco. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;07/22/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30440, p3
Reports that Texas counties will receive $2.2 billion in addition to the state's $15.3 billion settlement from the tobacco industry in exchange of dropping health suits against the industry. Expected legislation debate on how the state's settlement should be spent; Allocation plans for the...
- California to Pool Tobacco Settlement. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;11/27/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31024, p1
Reports that about 20 California counties are considering pooling and securitizing their tobacco settlement proceeds. Reduction of issuance costs; Mitigation of a risk factor unique to California local governments' tobacco bonds.
- Moody's: Tobacco issuance to double. Musero, Frank // Asset Securitization Report;2/5/2001, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p8
Reports on tobacco securitization trend in the U.S. Amount of issuance for tobacco securitization; Securitization deals of Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. and Salomon Smith Barney Inc.; Securitization transactions sponsored by various states.
- Colorado Defeats Tobacco Bond Bill. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;05/04/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30884, p2
Reports that the Colorado General Assembly has shot down a tobacco securitization bill. Provisions of the bill.