Three Years Later: Are Section 529 Plans Right For Your Clients?
- Coverdell Education Savings Accounts and the Tax Relief Act of 2001. Curatola, Anthony P.; Kline, Stacy A. // Strategic Finance;Dec2001, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p19
The article discusses individual savings accounts for educational expenses. The U.S. Congress first introduced the Education IRA in 1998, permitting up to $500 in tax-advantaged savings per year for each beneficiary under the age of 18. Education IRAs were upgraded in 2001 by the institution of...
- Cash in on This Advice. Knight, Mimi Greenwood // Campus Life;Dec2003 Special Issue, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p26
Presents a question and answer advisory related to financial aid in college in the U.S. Resources available to help students on their financial aid; Start in looking for financial aid; Scholarships available for students with average grades.
- Beware of hidden pitfalls in 529 plans. Them, Ron // Employee Benefit News;Jan2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p9
Focuses on the College Savings 529 Plans created by the U.S. federal government in 1996. Benefits from the 529 plans; Hidden pitfalls of such plans; Factors which contributed to the popularity of 529 plans.
- Not just rich kids. Morgan, Ginger // Indiana Business Magazine;Nov95, Vol. 39 Issue 11, p16
Focuses on the financial challenges of attending private colleges and universities in Indiana. Students' concern over the high cost of education at private colleges; Success rate of students educated in private learning institutions; Example of private schools' initiative to provide financial...
- Cash in on Financial Aid. Dees, Cherissa // Campus Life;Aug2003, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p48
Focuses on mistakes committed by parents and students while applying for college's financial aid. Overview of process of applying for financial aid; Features of Free Application for Federal Student Aid form.
- Wanted: Scholarships! Demint, Kristin // Campus Life;Aug2003, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p49
Presents various ways by which parents can assist their children with the scholarship search. Importance of Free Application for Federal Student Aid; Availability of research scholarships from colleges; Other possible resources available for getting financial aid.
- Financial Aid Terms. // Campus Life;Aug2003, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p51
Presents a terminology related to financial aid for college students.
- FTC targets unscrupulous college-aid firms. Archer, Jeff // Education Week;9/11/96, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p5
Reports that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is cracking down on unscrupulous companies that bilk students and their families through fraudulent guarantees of college scholarships. Filing of civil suits; Companies' advertising of scholarship search services.
- Start saving for college. Fischer, David; Hasday, Lisa // U.S. News & World Report;9/23/96, Vol. 121 Issue 12, p79
Discusses the importance for parents to begin saving for their children's college education as early as possible. The types of investing available; States that have college prepayment programs; The resources of grandparents; The different types of financial aid available.