Reading wars never touched her
- Psychologists spell it out for teachers. Hatton, Joanne // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/10/93, Vol. 20 Issue 21, p36
Cites a survey from the Canadian Psychological Association which recommends provincial departments include phonics as an appropriate method of teaching reading to primary school children. Phonics versus whole language; Whole language relies on sight recognition and sounding out; Support from...
- The abyss revisited. Himmelfarb, Gertrude // American Scholar;Summer92, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p337
Contends that today, students in the most eminent departments of literature are all too often reading books about how to read books. The ease with which great books can be emasculated; Why passionate literary affirmations are reduced to rote formulas; How subversive ideas are made banal and...
- 1989 Year of the Young Reader contest winners. Halter, J.C. // Boys' Life;May90, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p12
Names the winners of Pedro's 1989 `Year of the Young Reader' contest. Winners; Books they read; Comments on the books.
- New insight. // Current Health 2;Oct90, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p17
Notes the new Kurzweil Personal Reader. Computer capable of reading materials out loud.
- Educated by novels. Epstein, J. // Commentary;Aug89, Vol. 88 Issue 2, p33
Tells how reading fiction can be a vital part in a person's education. Truth in the great novels; Teaching novels; Facts and ideas in literature; Literary theory; Ethical reading; Reasons to read.
- The prize: Wider literacy. // Christian Science Monitor;3/23/98, Vol. 90 Issue 80, p12
Comments on the findings of the National Research Council in the United States on the best methods of teaching children how to read. Why the council emphasized the need to draw on the strengths of both phonics instruction and whole language instruction; How successful education is able to...
- Highlight this handout to parents of young readers. // Curriculum Review;Jan1997, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p9
Presents the handout `10 Ways to Promote Reading,' for parents of young readers by `Highlights for Children.'
- An analysis of changes in a selected basal reading series. Barron, Bennie G.; Henderson, Martha // Education;Summer92, Vol. 112 Issue 4, p606
Presents an analysis of changes in the `Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Reading Program, Laureate Edition' (1989). First grade levels of the Eagle Edition (1983) and the Laureate Edition (1989) were analyzed. Questions developed to guide the analysis; Areas of examination in the teachers' guides;...
- Kids and reading. // Emergency Librarian;May/Jun96, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p67
Presents facts proving the importance of reading for children. Age where intellectual development occurs; Reading's effect on emotional development; Chances of reading-exposed children in formal learning.