NEWS IN BRIEF
- CHAPTER 17: How You Pay Business Expenses. Fishman, Stephen // Tax Deductions for Professionals;12/1/2012, p411
The article focuses on how to pay tax for business expense in the U.S. It states that the most apt way to pay for such expenses is to make one's practice pay for them. It mentions that deductible business expenses are work-related travel, professional liability insurance and equipment. It...
- The truth and the whole truth. Miller, Paul B. W.; Bahnson, Paul R. // Accounting Today;10/22/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p15
In this article, the authors address some issues concerning financial reporting in the U.S. The authors begin with the fairness of tax cuts introduced by the government. They then discuss the issue of equity in taxation. They also looks at the effects of tax cuts on the accounting of industrial...
- Tax court guidance regarding welfare benefit plans. Lipoff, Lawrence M.; Kramer, Eric M. // CPA Journal;Oct98, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p62
Focuses on tax court rulings regarding welfare benefit plans in the United States. Use of welfare benefit plans to provide death benefits; Specific requirements for ten or more employer plans; Issue on which type of employers can participate.
- Focus on Taxes: a checklist. // Banking;Aug78, Vol. 70 Issue 8, p16
Presents news on taxation in the U.S. as of August 1978. Reform proposals for the tax program; Information on the decision of U.S. Supreme Court which impacts the privacy of bank consumer records in Internal Revenue Service investigations; Taxation of employee fringe benefits.
- All that glitters. Elswick, Jill // Employee Benefit News;Jan2002, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p19
Reports that the popularity of cosmetic dentistry has expanded to employee benefits offerings in the United States. Factors attributed to the popularity; Tax implications of including cosmetic dentistry in an employee benefit program; Way in which employers can offer cosmetic dentistry in...
- REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON EMPLOYEE BENEFITS. Meyer, Robert L. // Tax Lawyer;Summer69, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p730
Focuses on the committee on employee benefits of tax section in the United States. Establishment of general subcommittees and special committees; Monitor of cases on professional corporations; Impact of amended regulations.
- Flat tax could derail employee benefit gravy train. Fisher, Mary Jane // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;1/29/96, Vol. 100 Issue 5, p14
Discusses the effect to employee fringe benefits of a tax reform proposal being advanced by some candidates for the Republican presidential nomination. American Academy of Actuaries' warning that pensions maybe jeopardized; Proposals by the Kemp Commission.
- LETTERS. // Clergy Journal;Feb2002, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p28
Answers several questions on employee benefits, taxation and other issues in the U.S. Explanation on saving extra taxes a year; Depreciation of a rental house; Use of standard mileage rate to deduct driving cost for two cars.
- Benefit costs hit record high. Thompson, Roger // Nation's Business;Feb95, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p36
Describes employee benefit costs as hitting a record high in 1993 due to corporate restructuring and rising health-insurance premiums. U.S. Chamber of Commerce survey showing that benefits accounted for 41.3 percent of payroll costs in 1993; Financial impact of corporate restructuring; Change...