LOOKING UP: WORK CULTURE
- ACCORDING TO INDUSTRY EXPERTS: Mgmt. training combats labor woes. // FoodService Director;11/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p5
Reports on the labor problems in the food service industry in the United States. Why the treatment of workers is a factor in their resignation; Suggestions in dealing with labor problems.
- LABOR CRISIS: Technology acts to help in back-, front-of-house. // FoodService Director;03/15/2000, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p48
Reports on how the foodservice industry deals with labor problems. Incentives and recognition for staff; Use of central production system and electronic ordering system.
- 2000 REPORT: Avg. food buys jump 21% in 100 top hosps. // FoodService Director;01/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p51
Presents the results of a survey on foodservice operations in United States hospitals. Total foodservice purchases in 2000; Impact of the shortage in labor supply on hospital foodservice; Listing of the 100 top hospitals.
- Immigration eyed as fix for labor-shortage woes. Prewitt, Milford // Nation's Restaurant News;10/02/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 40, p1
Reports on the use of immigration as a labor-shortage solution in the food service industry in the United States. Absence of workers among the former welfare recipients; Image of foodservice as low paying; Initiatives to deal with labor shortage.
- Labor outlays 'under control'. // FoodService Director;01/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p2
Focuses on labor market trends in 1998 which had affected employees of the United States. Challenges faced in training and retaining employees; Labor costs.
- FROM WASHINGTON. // FoodService Director;3/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p16
Presents an update on the food service industry in the U.S as of March 15, 2003. Impact of visa screening procedures implemented following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the industry's labor supply; Provisions of a proposed legislation regarding write-offs of restaurant buildings;...
- Companies make investment in employees by expanding training programs. Berta, Dina // Nation's Restaurant News;8/13/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 33, p6
Focuses on the expansion of the training programs by restaurant companies in the United States to address their labor supply challenges. Launch of a university by Perkins Restaurant and Bakery to train food service employees; Expansion of an effort for the cross-training of workers; Goal to...
- Pending immigration reform step toward helping foodservice solve its labor woes. // Nation's Restaurant News;8/13/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 33, p29
Editorial. Comments on the support of President George W. Bush to the campaign of the foodservice industry to provide permanent legal status for illegal immigrants in the United States. Assistance of the government in the labor problems of the industry; Reduction of the culpability of...
- County's April Jobless Rate Improves. Allen, Mike // San Diego Business Journal;5/26/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 21, p5
The article reports that the unemployment rate in San Diego, California has declined by five percent in April 2008. The Employment Development Department reported that the rate was above the unemployment rate of 4.2 percent in April 2007 and was below the rate for the state at 6.1 percent. The...