MarketCapsule: MINORITIES DRIVE COLL. ENROLLMENT
- Affirmative Action. Hernandez, Francisco // Fort Worth Business Press;1/31/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p49
Discusses the benefits of affirmative action programs for the admission of students in law schools in the U.S. Background on a lawsuit filed against the University of Michigan regarding their affirmative action program; Advantage of affirmative action for female students.
- Demographics and Issues of Retention. Arnold, Richard E. // Black Issues in Higher Education;10/21/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 18, p47
Comments on demographics and retention issues in U.S. colleges and universities in 2004. Actions that must be taken by the universities to produce quality students; Role of community colleges; Outlook for the population in ethnic minority groups by 2020.
- Urban versus Rural Community Colleges: A National Study of Student Gender and Ethnicity. Tietjen-Smith, Tara; Waller, Lee Rusty; Davis, Jason; Copeland, Michael // Academic Leadership (15337812);2008, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p11
The article discusses a comparative study which examines the gender and ethnicity issues faced by urban and rural community colleges in the U.S. The study reveals that minority students encountered more challenges than majority students such as lack of formal academic ties and informal social...
- Number of older students rises. Long, Cynthia D. // Academe;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p10
Reveals that the number of American college students over the age of 35 has more than tripled since 1972, according to government estimates.
- Data stream. // Bank Marketing;May98, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p56
Reveals that more than half of students at four-year colleges in the United States have cars and more than two-thirds carry credit cards.
- Choosing a major. Hawley, Stephanie // Career World;Mar1996, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p20
Presents tips for college bound students in selecting a major. Choosing of target; Declaring of a major; Listing of careers and jobs students may be interested in; Importance of a well-rounded liberal arts background. INSET: Build your own degree..
- Separating the goats from the sheep. Collier, Arlen // National Forum;Fall96, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p29
Reprints the article written by AArlen Collier published in the Fall 1971 issue of the `Phi Kappa Phi Journal' which describes the attitudes of college students in the United States. Role of schools in education; Caution against pseudo-intellectualism.
- What the well-prepared college student should possess. de Seife, Ethan // Westchester County Business Journal;8/15/94, Vol. 33 Issue 33, p16
Presents things needed by a college student in the United States. Finance; Books; Computer.
- Colleges come back. Dortch, Shannon // American Demographics;May95, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p4
Forecasts an increase in the number of college students in the United States between 1995-2005. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) estimates of enrollment percentage increases; Correlation between educational attainment and income growth; Study fields awarded first-professional...