No Meal Left Behind
- Revolution in the LUNCH LINE. Jarman, Abbie // Chef Magazine;Mar2006, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p30
The article reports on the campaign of executive chef Jorge Leon Collazo, the first chef for the public schools of New York City. He was hired to make food more nutritious and appealing to the 1.1 million students in the city. He established the SchoolFood program he will manage the school...
- THE WORLD OF CHEF JORGE. Spake, Amanda // U.S. News & World Report;5/9/2005, Vol. 138 Issue 17, p64
Focuses on the effort of Chef Jorge Leon Collazo in helping make school lunches healthier in New York City schools. How the food at the schools has improved since Chef Jorge was hired; Availability of fruit and salad; Other items on the menu; Popularity of the improved menu among students;...
- Cornish school meals service back in-house. Walker, Ben // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;6/26/2003, Vol. 192 Issue 4279, p8
Reports the return of in-house school meal services at the school district in Cornwall County, England. Estimates on the amount of the deal won by the county council's Commercial Services; Schedule of the contract's execution; Reason behind the awarding of the contract to Commercial Services.
- The Meat of the Matter. Wolson, Shelley // FoodService Director;12/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p40
The article provides information on the food safety solution of the food service department at Glendora Unified School District in California for its meat menus. The department's food service director Patty Cunningham came up with a creative solution for making all the meats on her menus safe....
- Roving Chefs. // FoodService Director;11/15/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p14
The article features Abel Garcia, chef and director of dining services at Page Unified School District # 8 in Alabama. According to Garcia, his goal is to involve the students in the cafeteria more, as well as associate it with learning about nutrition. Particular focus is given to the scope of...
- WHERE IMAGE SPELLS R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar2001, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p42
Focuses on a community outreach program by the foodservice department of the school district in Volusia County, Florida. Growth strategies by School Way Cafe director Christine Farneti; Involvement of chefs in the schools; Foray into culinary competitions; School district's commitment to a...
- Economically Innovative. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;11/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p18
The article highlights the contributions of nutrition services director Sue Bettenhausen in developing the foodservice program at Scottsdale Unified School District in Arizona. In addition to the physical changes, Bettenhausen made a time change. Now between 40 and 50 students at a time are...
- IN WAKE OF $4.5-MIL. JUDGMENT: School district switches to precooked beef for liability. // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p10
Explains why the Finley School District in Kennewick, Washington buys precooked meal following a food poisoning incident. Comments about product liability; Background of the food poisoning incident; Impact of the incident to the food service program of the school district.
- TESTING NEW ENTREES: School widens menu choices. // FoodService Director;04/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p2
Reports on the increase in student participation in the school food service implemented at the Decatur City School District in Bainbridge, Georgia. Details on the service.