Amoco Production Co. v. Southern Ute Indian Tribe
- Interpreting entitlements. Melnick, R. Shep // Brookings Review;Winter94, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p40
Evaluates the process of statutory construction. Controversies involving statutory interpretation by federal courts; Use of legislative history; Statutory interpretation regarding Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC); Education for the handicapped; Food stamps; Litigation as leverage;...
- Rico and Conspiracy Construction: The Mischief of the Economic Model. Miller, Jeremy M. // Commercial Law Journal;Spring99, Vol. 104 Issue 1, p26
Discusses the Racketeering Influence and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act of 1970. Provisions under the legislation; Examination on the case Salinas versus United States; Investigation on the traditional rules of statutory construction; Conclusions.
- Comment on McNollgast: `Legislative intent'. Bates, Robert H. // Law & Contemporary Problems;Winter/Spring1994, Vol. 57 Issue 1/2, p39
Comments on the article published in the `Law and Contemporary Problems' journal entitled `The Use of Positive Political Theory in Statutory Interpretation,' by McNollgast about the use of political theory in statutory interpretation. Factors that shape the content of the communication;...
- Comment on `A Positive Theory of Legislative Intent'. Munger, Michael // Law & Contemporary Problems;Winter/Spring1994, Vol. 57 Issue 1/2, p87
Comments on an article published in the `Law and Contemporary Problems' journal entitled `A Positive Theory of Legislative Intent,' by Edward P. Schwartz about the practice of judicial interpretation of legislation. Critique of the model presented in the article; Problems with signaling games;...
- Business Purpose: The Assault Upon The Citadel. Smith, Robert Thronton // Tax Lawyer;Fall99, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p1
Provides an underlying justification for the Economic Substance Doctrine and defend its tax principles against criticisms. Information on the critics; Statutory interpretation; Selected issues.
- The Future Role of the Accountant. Burney, A.G.B. // Accountancy;Apr1965, Vol. 76 Issue 860, p305
Focuses on the role accountant in the future. Emphasis on issues related to costing and management services; Capacity of auditors for certain statutory obligations; Discussions on the types of management information and statistics.
- An Accountant's Guide to Recent Law. // Accountancy;Apr1965, Vol. 76 Issue 860, p376
Presents the guide for statutory instruments used by accountants. Extension on the time of delivery for pleadings; Increase on the rates of benefits in making minor amendments; Details on the various decision of the court.
- Stupid court tricks. Leo, John // U.S. News & World Report;3/18/96, Vol. 120 Issue 11, p24
Opinion. Offers a list and description of several notably poor court decisions. Ruling of New York City Criminal Court Judge Laurin Duckman in a domestic violence case; Drunkenness as a defense against rape charges in Canada; Decision regarding the right of a male prisoner to receive hormone...
- Translating the letter of the law. Richardson, L. Anita // ABA Journal;Aug96, Vol. 82 Issue 8, p50
Reports on the tendency of the US Supreme Court to rule on in favor of criminal defendants due to its commitment to the interpretation of the Constitution and federal statutes. Background on the case `Bailey v. United States'; Striking down by the court of sentence enhancements.