NABL to IRS: Get Issuers Not Investors
- IRS: Counsel Must Accept Circular 230 Proposal. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;2/22/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32075, p5
The article reports that as the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) intensifies its examinations into abusive transactions, bond counsel needs to accept proposed Circular 230 regulations that would require municipal bond lawyers to provide written documentation for the tax rationale underlying...
- IRS Sends Tax Bills To Some Muni Holders. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;09/08/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30971, p2
Reports on the United States Internal Revenue Service's tax on institutional holders of municipal bonds that violated the laws of governing tax-exempt securities; Municipal bond audit of the agency.
- Hatch's IRS appeal plan awaits committee nod. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p4
Reports on the expected US Senate hearings for a proposal that would enable municipal bond issuers to appeal bond tax rulings by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Exclusion of the proposal from an IRS restructuring bill reviewed by the Senate Finance Committee on March 24, 1998.
- IRS Considers Expanding Audit Program To Address Depreciation, Expenditures. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;09/18/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30481, p36
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may extend its small-state industrial development municipal bond audit program, according to William Mark Scott, bond liaison for the IRS' Midstates region. Focus on capital expenditure and depreciation adjustment problems; IRS'...
- Tax appeal guidance expected this week. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;11/16/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30521, p10
Reports on the scheduled release of the long-awaited guidance from the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on how municipal bond issuers can appeal initial bond taxability determinations in November 1998.
- IRS: Issuers can appeal before agents get technical advice. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;11/20/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30525, p1
Details Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules which allows municipal bond issuers to appeal a determination that their bonds are taxable even without an IRS advice. Steps in conducting an appeal; Provision for bond issuers to use the IRS' early referral program; Effectivity of the proposed...
- Muni players look at changes to IRS bond audit policies. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;09/23/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30236, p1
Reports on the criticism of the US Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) audit policies for taxing municipal bonds. Use of audits to detect tax code violations in tax-exempt bond issues; Call for a revision of the policies to ease the enforcement burden on state and local government issuers; Attempt...
- IRS, lawyers' involvement in muni audit cases questioned. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;01/27/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30318, p4
Focuses on the concerns raised by municipal bond attorneys on whether the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is using the municipal-bond audit program to make new rules. Features of the discussion on how issuers can gain a forum for challenging an IRS determination of taxability; Issue of...
- Bond Lawyers Urge IRS to Disclose Yield-Burning Settlement Terms. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;12/5/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31278, p44
Reports on bond lawyers' proposal to the U.S. Internal Revenue Services to publish the terms of global yield-burning settlement in 2000. Advantages of the terms for bond lawyers; Meaning of yield burning deals; Punishment for underwriters not willing to settle yield-burning charges.