NEWS IN BRIEF
- Trade deficits and economic growth. // Economic Trends (07482922);Oct97, p19
Correlates trade deficits with economic growth of the United States. Increase in the US trade deficit; Employment-to-population ratio and net exports; Economic growth and deficit size; Economic growth and deficit persistence.
- Trade Deficits. // Economic Trends (07482922);Feb99, p18
Offers a look at the trade deficit of the United States as of February 1, 1999. Commerce in the US in 1998; Bases for the widening trade deficit in the US.
- Record trade deficit no cause for alarm--yet. Ehrlich, Ev // Inside Tucson Business;09/18/2000, Vol. 10 Issue 26, p5
No abstract available.
- Trade Talk. Thredgold, Jeff // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;05/03/99, Vol. 28 Issue 45, p25
Focuses on the trade deficit as a measure of the United States' economic strength. Linkage of the deficit to government spending policy; Reasons for the deficit; Level of the deficit as of February 1999; Political posturing on the deficit.
- Truth in trade. Thredgold // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/04/99, Vol. 29 Issue 15, p21
Discusses various aspects of the United States trade deficit. Trade deficit record for May, June and July 1999; Percent increase of the import of goods and services; Strong consumer appetite for foreign goods; Export of US-manufactured goods and services; Impact of trade deficit on gross...
- Ask Dr. Dollar. MacEwan, Arthur // Dollars & Sense;Mar/Apr2000, Issue 228, p49
Looks at how to keep trade deficits without any apparent ill effect on the economy of the United States. When US trade deficit reached its height; What caused the trade deficit in the 1990s; Implication of foreign borrowing for the US.
- May trade. // Business America;7/26/93, Vol. 114 Issue 15/16, preceding p1
Reports on the decline of the American merchandise trade deficit. Competitiveness of American goods; Sizable deficit as reflecting slow economic growth; Comment from Secretary of Commerce Ronald H. Brown.
- The Effects of a Booming Economy on the U.S. Trade Deficit. Papaioannou, Stefan; Yi, Kei-Mu // Current Issues in Economics & Finance;Feb2001, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p1
Examines how the growth of the United States (U.S.) economy led to the increase in the trade deficit between 1996 and 1999. Value of the U.S. trade deficit during the period; Assessment on the percentage increase in the U.S. trade deficit over the 1996 to 1999 period; Calculation of the U.S....
- The Trade Deficit: Don't Sweat it. Griswold, Daniel T. // Orange County Business Journal;08/23/99, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p67
Focuses on the trade deficit of the United States. Arguments about unfair trade barriers; Shortfall of savings; Effects of increase of domestic investment on trade deficit.