THE BIG PICTURE
- Choked by P&O. Percy, Steve // New Internationalist;Nov97, Issue 296, p6
Focuses on the resistance of the natives of Mumbai, India, against the construction of a mega-port by Peninsula and Oriental Navigation Company. Contention by maritime authorities; Tonnes of cargo that can be handled yearly by the proposed port; Information on demonstrations against the company.
- The wrong message. Field, Alan M. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);3/6/2006, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p40
Examines the issues surrounding the acquisition of the cargo terminals of P&O at U.S. ports by Dubai-based DP World and its implications for trade and investment. Significance of a trade pact between the U.S. and United Arab Emirates; Concerns of supporters of the DP World controversy.
- Opportunity knocks? Mongeluzzo, Bill // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);3/6/2006, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p42
Reports that U.S.-based marine terminal operators appear ready to buy the U.S. cargo terminals that Dubai-based DP World is acquiring as part of its purchase of P&O if it is forced to sell. Reason for their interest; Nontraditional gateways that are of interest to operators; Commercial factors...
- Two Becomes Four. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Sep2005, p14
Reports on the plan of P and O Co. to double the size of its container services operation at Russia's Port of Vostochny. Total capacity of the port; Main partners of P and O in the joint venture which involves the company's port operation in Russia.
- P&O Enters Vietnam Terminal Venture. // Traffic World;6/19/2006, Vol. 270 Issue 25, p41
The article reports on the joint venture between Pandoro & Oro ( P & O ) Ltd., a port operator and Tan Thuan Industrial Promotion, a port container developer, to establish and operate a container terminal at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The port is expected to accommodate as much as a million...
- P&O sues Calais for berth defects. // Commercial Motor;3/3/2005, Vol. 201 Issue 5118, p9
Reports on the call of ferry firm P&O for operators in the British commercial vehicle industry to claim compensation from the port of Calais, France for the weeks of disruption caused by berth closures. Background on the case; Losses claimed by the company in its lawsuit.
- Ports Public Tempest. Keane, Angela Greiling // Traffic World;2/27/2006, Vol. 270 Issue 9, p39
The article reports on the controversy regarding the sale of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.'s terminal operations at six U.S. ports to United Emirates-based DP World company, highlighting the growing privatization in the transportation industry. A proponent of privatization...
- London Gateway port approved. // Modern Railways;Jul2007, Vol. 64 Issue 706, p12
The article reports on the British government's approval for the London Gateway port in Thurrock, England. In line with this, an agreement between port promoters P&O and highway authorities is established to guarantee that developers would answer for the new port's impact on local roads. It also...
- DP World mulls P&O takeover. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;11/4/2005, Vol. 49 Issue 44, p21
Focuses on the response of DP World to a report that it planned to bid for the acquisition of British P&O. Value of the transaction; Amount invested by DP World in the development of a greenfield container terminal in Turkey; Background on DP World.