Employers call for delay on temp workers rules
- BMW stance on agency staff cuts ignores bigger picture. Berry, Mike // Personnel Today;2/24/2009, p12
A blog from the editor of the journal on the implications of Bayerische Motoren Werke AG's (BMW's) decision to dismiss 850 agency workers at its plant in Cowley, England, is presented.
- Union reaction to BMW job cuts not at all surprising. // Personnel Today;2/24/2009, p13
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "BMW axes 850 jobs at Mini plant," published in the February 16, 2009 online issue of the journal.
- Pound still causing headaches for Rover. // Ward's Auto World;Nov98, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p12
Reports the employee downsizing of BMW AG at its Rover subsidiary in Great Britain due to currency crisis. Number of employees affected; Reactions of employees.
- Agency Staff to Get Equal Treatment. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2008 Q2, following p9
The article reports on the Temporary and Agency Workers (Equal Treatment) bill in Great Britain. The bill has provisions similar to the European Union (EU) Temporary Workers' Directive which proposes the right to equal treatment for agency workers. It is expected that many businesses will need...
- Opportunity Knocks. // ITNOW;Sep2009, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p31
The article offers information on the Temporary Agency Workers Directive. It refers to a measure, created by the European Union (EU) and will be implement in Great Britain, which grants broadly the same rights as an employee to all temporary agency workers after working for 12 weeks at the same...
- EDITOR'S COMMENT. Charlton, John // Employers Law;Mar2009, p3
The author comments on the dismissal of agency workers at automobile company BMW. He states that companies can dismiss agency staff with no notice because they have few rights. He mentions that the incident will feed into arguments over the scope of the Agency Workers' Directive in Great Britain...
- Recruiters step in to find work for Mini's ex-staff. Goodfellow, Christopher // Recruiter;3/4/2009, p5
The article reports on the deployment of two former Bayerische Motoren Werke AG's (BMW) sales teams by Right4Staff to other companies in England. The sales teams were affected by large-scale redundancies in BMW's Mini plant in Oxford. Right4Staff's spokesperson states that they will try their...
- The Saga continues: Rover workers accept pay, job cuts. Murphy, Tom // Ward's Auto World;Jan99, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p9
Offers information on Bavarian Motor Works AG in Great Britain. Resignation of its Chief Executive Officer Walter Hasselkus; Downsizing plan of the company.
- Spanish strike halts work at BMW's Oxford plant. // Automotive Manufacturing Solutions;Jul/Aug2008, p12
The article reports that due to the Spanish fuel protest, 3,000 workers at the Cowley plant of BMW in Great Britain were temporarily laid off in June 2008. All of these workers are members of the Unite union, and they were sent home on full pay in line with the Working Time Account, which allows...