Employers face additional burden as ECJ grants holiday during sick leave
- Sickness when on annual leave. Tom, Matthew // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;11/6/2009, Vol. 199 Issue 4602, p36
The article reports on laws governing sick leaves with reference to the ruling in the case Pereda v. Madrid Movilidad SA given by the European Court of Justice. It is stated that where an employee is sick when on annual leave, they have the right to take sick leave and reschedule the annual...
- EU sick-pay rule may hit printers. // PrintWeek (Haymarket Business Publications Ltd);2/13/2009, p8
The article reports on the ruling by the European Court of Justice (ECJ), which stated that long-term sick employees are entitled to receive full holiday pay if they leave the company. The decision is deemed to make companies offering Private Health Insurance or enhanced sick pay schemes to...
- Uncomplicated flu may not be covered by FMLA. // HR Specialist: Illinois Employment Law;Sep2010, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p1
The article reports on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave in which employees who had uncomplicated swine flu could not be covered.
- Employee calling in 'sick' doesn't automatically trigger your FMLA obligations. // HR Specialist;May2012, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p3
The article focuses on the need of employees to provide more than a statement that he or she is sick to be granted with a Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave protection in the U.S.
- Untitled. // Progressive Populist;10/15/2014, Vol. 20 Issue 18, p13
Several cartoons are presented including one about the sick leave law in California.
- California Family Rights Act. Shukla, Bobby // India Currents;Apr2015, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p20
The article provides an answer to a question related to the rights of an employee to take a leave of absence based on health or that of a family member under the California Family Rights Act.
- LAW NEWS. // People Management;1/29/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p53
This section offers news briefs on labor-related matters. The European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled that employees on long-term sick leave should accrue paid holiday while they are off work. There is a lack of knowledge among employers about the detail legal requirements for sponsoring...
- Decision due soon on rolled-up holiday pay. Darcy, John // Contract Journal;11/2/2005, Vol. 430 Issue 6549, p8
This article reports that the European Advocate General has now handed down a definitive opinion on the issue, saying that rolled-up holiday pay can be permissible under the Working Time Directive (WTD) subject to certain conditions. A final ruling will come from the European Court, which...
- Holiday pay. // British Baker;10/23/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 20, Special section p2
The article offers information on the decision of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) about the holiday pay for workers on sick leave which is consequently confirmed by the House of Lords in Great Britain. It mentions the Working Time Regulations 1998 (WTR) wherein workers are not allowed to...