Act now to prevent survivor syndrome
- What did we learn from RIFs. // Management Review;Jan84, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p53
Presents insights on handling workforce reductions. Importance of staff reduction to business solvency; Alternatives to staff reduction; Use of performance as a criterion in the elimination process.
- Downsizing Dos and Don'ts. Brandt, John R. // Industry Week/IW;May2002, Vol. 251 Issue 4, p19
Provides suggestions for managers on how to fire an employee. Attitude towards firing an employee; Importance of avoidance of giving too many explanations; Advantages of seeking an alternative to downsizing.
- the Corporate Shrink. Sulkowicz, Kerry J. // Fast Company;Dec2004, Issue 89, p40
This section addresses several emotional implications of job termination. For a senior executive whose reaction to employee termination is manifested in a dream, reveals what is going on below the surface. Dreams employ symbolic imagery to express feelings that would be far more threatening to...
- Let go of doublespeak. Briner, Rob // People Management;2/12/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p15
In this article the author discusses the challenge for human resource (HR) professionals of telling people that they have been dismissed from their jobs. The effects of fear of job loss on behaviour at work are cited, including the reduction in absence rates that usually accompanies an economic...
- Strategic Downsizing: A Human Resources Perspective. Labib, Nadia; Appelbaum, Steven H. // Human Resource Planning;1993, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p69
This research investigates organizational practices in downsizing after a restructure and the effects of these practices on an organization and its employees, in particular, and on other stakeholders in general. Findings indicated that it is not downsizing that causes negative effects on both...
- managing in the new millennium. Buhler, Patricia M. // Supervision;Feb2003, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p20
Presents tips for the successful implementation of the downsizing strategy. Need to ensure that downsizing is the appropriate strategy for the organization; Significance of informing the employees about the company's intention to downsize; Importance of employee participation in decision making.
- Both sides of a layoff. Chartier, Greg // Westchester County Business Journal;10/27/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 43, p24
The article focuses on both sides of the layoff systems in companies. Accordingly, there is a need for employees to make concentric circles of contacts so that when a job does come along, there is a way to communicate about it. The author stresses that layoff should not be used to avoid people...
- Riggs to Cut Positions, Close Berlin Office. Thompson, Laura K. // American Banker;2/19/2004, Vol. 169 Issue 33, p20
Riggs National Corp. in Washington announced on Wednesday that it is eliminating 87 positions and will close its Berlin office by midyear. The office closure will cost 10 employees their jobs. Forty-five of the positions being eliminated are the U.S. ones that are currently filled. The $6.4...
- Disability group issues redundancy notices as it wrestles with cash crisis. Taylor, Amy // Community Care;2/23/2006, Issue 1611, p6
The article reports on the decision of the National Centre for Independent Living to issue redundancy notices to its staff. The disability organisation has revealed that it is facing serious financial difficulties. Jane Campbell, a member of the board and a previous chief executive, called for...