Mississippi's Musgrove Stands Firm on Broadening Economic Program
- Mississippi Governor Calls for Special `Prosperity' Session. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;08/09/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30950, p4
Reports on Mississippi Governor Ronnie Musgrove's call for a special legislative session to be held on August 28, 2000, to discuss an economic development plan. Aim of the economic initiative; Musgrove's call for improving basic infrastructure, transportation, and information to support...
- Black institutions bicker over Higher Ed Act graduate proposal. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;04/02/98, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p6
States that in the United States there is controversy among Black graduate schools over how to utilize a federal investment fund highlighting the Historical Black College and Universities (HBCU) graduate program. Value of the fund; Information on the plans for reauthorization of the HBCU...
- Spending bill would freeze funds for HBCUs. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;7/11/96, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p4
Reports on the approval of a legislation that would freeze funds for historically Black colleges and universities in the United States. Provisions; Funding for TRIO services to recruit disadvantaged youth to the college; Support for Hispanic-serving institutions; Funding for student financial...
- Bill would extend HBCU default exemption. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;03/06/97, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the US Congress' contemplation of extending the exemption from federal default penalties for historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) until the year 2004. Department of Education's receipt of extensive comments about the need to continue the exemption policy; Possible...
- Finance program provides new federal HBCU grant. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;09/04/97, Vol. 14 Issue 14, p5
Reports that historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) have begun to receive grants under the federal government's 1992 HBCU Capital Financing Program. Loan received by the Bethune-Cookman College in Florida; Complex financing plan contained in the loan.
- ED, DOD grants target minority institutions. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;09/04/97, Vol. 14 Issue 14, p6
Reports that federal grant competitions in the United States are targeting historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and minority institutions. Number of the grants which the Education Department expects to award; Training of students at minority institutions for careers in special...
- Feds give $4 million to black colleges for economic growth. // New York Amsterdam News;11/4/95, Vol. 86 Issue 44, p20
Reports on the presentation of a monetary grant by the President Bill Clinton Administration to Black Colleges and Universities for their economic development efforts. Recipient list.
- MISSISSIPPI. M. O. // Hill;6/26/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 76, p12
The article reports on the plan of the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) to tie former Mississippi Governor Ronnie Musgrove to corruption.
- As deadline nears, Congress scrambles to avoid shutdown. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;10/01/98, Vol. 15 Issue 16, p8
Reports on the United States Congress' decision not to meet President Bill Clinton's 1999 budget request for the main education program to help historically Black colleges. Amount recommended by the president for the Title III-B HBCU undergraduate program; Reason cited by congressional aides on...