RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- Leader Biography. // Slovakia Country Review;2010, p36
The article offers information on the 2009 presidential election in Slovakia wherein President Ivan Gasparovic won the position and profiles Prime Minister Robert Fico who founded the Smer Party in 1999.
- Slovakia: Battle of the Sexes, and Far More. Palata, Lubos // Transitions Online;3/31/2009, p1
The article reports on the presidential elections in Slovakia. This election is the latest chapter in a 20-year contest between the authoritarian nationalists, who achieved separation from the Czechoslovak Federative Republic in 1992, and the pro-Western, liberal, anticommunist circles. The...
- Slovakia: Meciar Routed. // Emerging Europe Financial Alert;4/26/2004, Vol. 2 Issue 46, p6
With Slovakia's ex-prime minister Vladimir Meciar roundly defeated in the recent presidential elections by Ivan Gasparovic, attention has now shifted to how the government will co-operate with the new head of state. Although Gasparovic has frequently been critical of the social and economic...
- A Compromised Darkhorse Beats Meciar. Tancerova, Barbora // Transitions Online;4/19/2004, pN.PAG
Reports on the victory of Ivan Gasparovic on the April 17, 2004 presidential election in Slovakia. Percentage of votes garnered by Gasparovic; Career background of Gasparovic; Reactions of coalition parties in the country on the result of the first round of the presidential election.
- GOVERNMENT AND POLITICAL CONDITIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: The Slovak Republic;1/24/2011, p5
The article presents information on Slovak government and political conditions. It notes that the unicameral National Council serves as the highest legislative body of the Slovak Republic. A constitutional amendment was passed by Parliament in January 1999 that allows direct election of the...
- Slovakia: Meciar Routed. // Emerging Markets Monitor;4/26/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p16
Reports on the defeat of former Slovak Prime Minister Vladimir Meciar in the 2004 presidential election. Concerns about the cooperation of the government with winning presidential candidate Ivan Gasparovic; Problem posed by the populist opposition Smer Party; Impact of the political problems on...
- The Triumph of a Lesser Evil. // Transitions Online;4/19/2004, pN.PAG
Reports on the victory of Ivan Gasparovic in the second round of the presidential elections in Slovakia on April 17, 2004 defeating Vladimir Meciar, an authoritarian politician. Career background of Gasparovic in politics; Overview of the political strategy of Gasparovic and Meciar; Votes...
- RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;May2009, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p8
This section offers news briefs concerning Slovakia. Incumbent President Ivan Gasparovic has won the initial round of presidential elections on March 22, 2009. A report from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) published on March 3, 2009 emphasized the need for the...
- Leader Biography. // Slovakia Country Review;2011, p57
The article offers brief profile of Slovakian president Ivan Gasparovic who won the election on April 4, 2009.