Benefits and harms of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents for anemia related to cancer: a meta-analysis
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs), from chemotherapy-induced anemia to any cancer-related anemia? Venturino, A.; Colloca, G. // Annals of Oncology;Apr2010, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p905
The article offers information on the Anemia Cancer Treatment (ACT) pharmacoepidemiologic study about anemic cancer. It states that the study included anemic cancer patients that began on an erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) which examined variability in treatment patterns and associated...
- Kosten der Verabreichung von Blutkonserven im Krankenhaus. Hönemann, C.; Bierbaum, M.; Heidler, J.; Doll, D.; Schöffski, O. // Der Chirurg;May2013, Vol. 84 Issue 5, p426
Introduction: In clinical practice there are medical and economic reasons against the thoughtless use of packed red blood cells (rbc). Therefore, in searching for alternatives (therapy of anemia) the total costs of allogeneic blood transfusions must be considered. Using a practical example this...
- Recombinant erythropoietin favoured in chemo-related anaemia. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;5/5/2007, Issue 527, p9
The article discusses research being done on the quality of life aspects of recombinant erythropoietin for chemotherapy-related anemia. It references a study by D. F. Ossa, A. Briggs, E. McIntosh et al, published in the 2007 issue of "PharmacoEconomics." The researchers found that the severity...
- Patterns of Use and Risks Associated With Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents Among Medicare Patients With Cancer. Hershman, Dawn L.; Buono, Donna L.; Malin, Jennifer; McBride, Russell; Tsai, Wei Yann; Neugut, Alfred I. // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;12/2/2009, Vol. 101 Issue 23, p1633
Background: Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (erythropoietin and darbepoietin) have been approved to reduce the number of blood transfusions required during chemotherapy; however, concerns about the risks of venous thromboembolism and mortality exist.
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agent treatment with full anemia correction: a new perspective. Fishbane, Steven // Kidney International;Feb2009, Vol. 75 Issue 4, p358
Erythropoiesis stimulating agent (ESA) treatment has been a major advance in the care of patients with kidney disease, resulting in reduced symptoms and blood transfusions, and improved quality of life. Recent studies, however, have indicated that attempts to treat to near normal Hgb targets may...
- Savor Soy: 9 Super Sources for Protein, Phytonutrients. Welland, Diane // Environmental Nutrition;Dec2006, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p2
The article provides information about the health effect of soy and discusses various types of soy with isoflavones. Despite the fact that soy has been widely known to be a cure for heart disease and cancer, medical studies have found that it has also health risks if taken excessively. However,...
- Modeling of treatment response to erythropoiesis-stimulating agents as a function of center- and patient-related variables: results from the Anemia Cancer Treatment (ACT) study. Aapro, M.; Ludwig, H.; Bokemeyer, C.; MacDonald, K.; Soubeyran, P.; Turner, M.; Albrecht, T.; Abraham, I. // Annals of Oncology;Oct2009, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p1714
Background: In anemic cancer patients treated with erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA), (i) to examine the proportion of variance in hemoglobin (Hb) outcomes attributable to patients versus center, country, and region and (ii) to develop predictive models of treatment response.
- Online CME Quiz Questions. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;11/2/2011, Vol. 306 Issue 17, p1931
A quiz about the risks and benefits of blood transfusion, is presented.
- Combination Chemotherapy for Unknown Primary. Ershler, William B. // Clinical Oncology Alert;Oct2007, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p77
OPTIMAL TREATMENT FOR PATIENTS WHO PRESENT with metastatic cancer of unknown primary remains unsettled. Such presentation is not unusual, accounting for approximately 2% of all newly diagnosed cancer. Although difficult to establish in individual cases, autopsy series indicate the lung, pancreas...