HISD Names Acting Chief
- Boosters Call Houston's Chief 'A Good Thing, and We Know It.'. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;10/04/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p1
Profiles Rod Paige, superintendent of the Houston Independent School District in Texas. Awards won; Gains made by the school district under his management; Initiatives launched to help improve student achievement and attendance; Efforts to bolster public support for the Houston schools. INSET:...
- Houston is cleared of wrongdoing in hiring schools chief from board. Richardson, Joanna // Education Week;4/13/94, Vol. 13 Issue 29, p7
Reports on the ruling of the Houston, Texas district attorney's office that Roderick Paige and the Houston school district did not violate any law on the hiring of Paige as superintendent. Investigation by Texas Education Agency (TEA); Allegations made by Hispanic groups in the area; Pending...
- Rod Paige. Sweany, Brian D. // Texas Monthly;Sep2000, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p149
Profiles Rod Paige, superintendent of the Houston Independent School District in Texas. Career highlights; Educational background; Why he was honored as one of the Texas Twenty for 2000.
- SNAPSHOTS. Gehring, John // Education Week;7/14/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 42, p4
Abelardo Saavedra has been named the interim superintendent of the 211,000-student Houston Independent School District. He has served as the deputy superintendent since 2002 and replaces Kaye Stripling, who is retiring at the end of August.
- Houston's Paige Becomes Top-Paid Superintendent. Richard, Alan // Education Week;05/17/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 36, p8
Deals with the salary of Houston, Texas school superintendent, Rod Paige. Career background of Paige; Statement from Don McAdams, a Houston school board member; Information on the salary increase given to Paige.
- Fed offers new resource for superintendents. // Westchester County Business Journal;1/5/2004, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p19
Reports on the launching of a two-free information resource for superintendents by U.S. Education Secretary Rod Paige. Facilitation of information on historic education reform law; Provisions of the No Child Left Behind law; Enhancement of quality education.
- Florida Educators Know What it Means to be Accountable. // District Administration;Jan2003, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p7
Focuses on the speech delivered by the U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige about the school districts in Florida. Start of an accountability system in the state; Prize of schools making the A grade on achievement standards in reading, writing and mathematics; Use of the money for teacher or...
- Secretary of Education Says NCLB Includes Arts. // Teaching Music;Oct2004, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p17
The article reports that the music education advocates around the U.S. are moving quickly to take advantage of U.S. Education Secretary Rod Paige's recent letter to the nations school superintendents. MENC members have reacted by forwarding a copy of the document to school principals,...
- Arts Education Update. Crosswhite, Jeanette // Tennessee Musician;Fall2004, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p26
Presents updates on arts education in Tennessee as of September 2004. Background on plans for the 2005 Tennessee Arts Academy; Suggestion for those who are planning to apply for National Board Certification; Information on a letter sent by U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige to school...