Equity Indexed Annuities: Downside Protection, But at What Cost?
- A further examination of equity indexed annuities. Terry, Andy; Elder, Erick // Journal of Financial Planning;2015 Special Issue, Vol. 28, p411
Equity indexed annuities (EIAs) are deferred annuities that credit interest according to a formula tied to the performance of an underlying equity index. This research expands previous research, particularly that of Reichenstein (2009, 2011), by examining the distribution of returns that could...
- Letters from LifeHealthPro.com. Olsen, John L.; Haithcock, Stan; Hinerman, Ed // Senior Market Advisor;Jun2013, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p10
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "A FIA or a VA does not = SPIA," and "Vapor on paper: Coming to an annuity near you."
- AT LAST, A CRASHPROOF FUND? Light, Joe // Money;Jan2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p47
The article discusses equity-index annuities (EIAs), examining whether such financial instruments are able to shield an investor from exposure to a volatile stock market. EIAs have complicated terms and steep costs, the article indicates. Other topics include the increased sales of EIAs during...
- Pushing The Envelope. Bobo, Jack // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/9/2004, Vol. 108 Issue 30, p50
Discusses the marketing of Equity Index Annuities in the United States insurance industry. Equity Index Annuities purports to provide downside guarantees with potential for upside gains depending upon the performance of a stock price index to which the annuity is linked; Some credit rating...
- Equity Indexed UL Picks Up Speed. Koco, Linda // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;5/2/2005, Vol. 109 Issue 17, p7
The article reports that equity indexed universal life insurance (EIUL) is showing significant development activity. EIULs have a minimum interest guarantee but also credit interest by linking gains to growth in an equity index. EIUL sales reached around $150 million in 2004. The recent EIUL...
- The Correct Context For Viewing Index Annuity Returns. Marrion, Jack // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;3/2/2009, Vol. 113 Issue 5, p22
The article discusses the function of the index annuities referencing to an article which gave several misconceptions about these annuity products. It explains how the returns of index annuities can be obtained as well as notes the benefits of these annuities. Implications of index annuities on...
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Annuities. // Journal of Financial Planning;Nov2006, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p34
The article discusses different types and characteristics of annuities. The insurance industry and financial media are heavily pushing annuities in 2006, making it more important than ever for individuals to be knowledgeable about their strengths and weaknesses. The article addresses different...
- A Breakthrough Year. Panko, Ron // Best's Review;Apr2005, Vol. 105 Issue 12, p88
Assesses conditions in the market for equity indexed annuities in the U.S. Sales trends showing that index annuities have become a legitimate way of addressing intermediate-term market risk; Products introduced by large insurance carriers.
- Equity Index Annuity Annual Sales ($ in millions). // Money Management Executive;8/15/2005, Vol. 13 Issue 32, p1
Presents a chart depicting equity indexed annuities sales from 1995 to 2004 in the U.S. Popularity of equity indexed annuities because of the typical floor guaranteed return they offer.