NEWS IN BRIEF
- BONDS-GOVERNMENT AND MUNICIPAL. Nagan, Peter S. // Banking;Sep69, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p4
Discusses the changes in the economic indicators of the U.S. as of September 1969. Absence of growth in real disposable income; Persistence of inflation; Reason for the U.S. Treasury Department to hold its August refunding to an 18-month Treasury note.
- THE WEEK. // National Review;4/18/1980, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p450
Reports on economic developments in the U.S. as of April 1980. Increase of the inflation rate; Plans of the budget committee to make some cuts in the federal budget; Role of the U.S. in the Cuban missile crisis.
- Economic Reflections On a Political Victory. Kane, Tim D. // Business Forum;Winter83, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p4
Comments on the economic policy under the administration of U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Displacement of private initiatives; Focus on inflation; Scope of Reagan's original budget; Implications on supply-side economics; Reduction of federal deficits through economic growth initiated by the...
- FRETTING ABOUT INFLATION. Benjamin, Matthew // U.S. News & World Report;2/14/2005, Vol. 138 Issue 5, p52
The article discusses economic conditions and inflation in the United States. If food and fuel prices--which are volatile--are excluded, prices rose 2.2 percent in 2004, versus 1.1 percent the year before. This is not so big as to cause panic at the Federal Reserve Board, which nudged overnight...
- Washington Notes. // New Republic;7/24/35, Vol. 83 Issue 1077, p306
Comments on several political and economic issues in the U.S. Debate in the U.S. Congress over the proposed legislative bill on a tax and financial program; Advocacy of representatives of the farm states to increase inflation; Reduction of the political influence of Louisiana Governor Huey Long;...
- Could inflation really be gone for good? Francis, David R. // Christian Science Monitor;7/7/97, Vol. 89 Issue 154, p1
Discusses inflation in the United States as of July, 1997. Economic expansion bringing about declining interest rates; Dropping prices on food, used cars and energy; The possibility of zero inflation or even deflation; How US citizens feel about inflation; The consumer price index in 1997;...
- Economic activity. // Economic Trends (07482922);Jun97, p9
Reports on the growth of the gross domestic product of the United States in the first quarter of 1997. Forecast for the whole of 1997 by economists participating in the Blue Chip survey; Sales of single- and multifamily homes; Industrial production; Business inventories.
- Rising inflation. // Economic Trends (07482922);Apr98, p4
Reports on rising inflation in the United States. Two questions monetary policymakers face on whether action is necessary to stem inflation; Link between monetary and economic expansion; Similarities between the current situation and earlier preacceleration periods.
- Inflation and Prices. // Economic Trends (07482922);Sep99, p7
Presents updates on inflation and prices in the United States. What remains the focal point of any further adjustment to Federal Reserve policy; Another measure of core inflation; Projections of economists for retail prices over the rest of 1999.