RESCUING POLITICS FROM MONEY
- DON'T END RUN THE COURTS. // Christian Science Monitor;7/12/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 161, p8
Discusses the important role that campaign finance plays in United States politics.
- The Money Race. Sudo, Phil // Scholastic Update;10/19/98, Vol. 131 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on trends in campaign fund-raising in the United States. Reference to the bill passed by the US House in August, 1998 to limit the flow of money into political campaigns; Examination of fund-raising activity in the 1996 election; What campaign finance laws state; Discussion on soft-money...
- You Want Access? What's It Worth to You? Birnbaum, Jeffrey H. // Fortune;4/28/1997, Vol. 135 Issue 8, p54
Discusses political campaign practices in the United States. The selling of access for campaign cash; The types and amount of contributions solicited; Facsimiles of campaign letters/invitations from Tom Daschle, Dick Gephardt, and the Republican Party.
- For the fat cats, it's back to business as usual. Kelly, Michael // National Journal;11/29/97, Vol. 29 Issue 48, p2402
Focuses on issues relevant to political campaign contributions in the United States. Democratic National Committee's imposition of a donation cap; Justice Department investigation on telephone solicitations by the President and Vice President; Exposure of Federal Election Campaign Act...
- Who Gives? Miller, Ellen S.; Sifry, Micah L. // American Prospect;10/23/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 22, p10
Focuses on the elite class of political donors in the United States. Number of samples taken; Profile of typical campaign donors; Influence of large businesses and corporations.
- Who paid for that? Faris, Jack // Las Vegas Business Press;10/12/98, Vol. 15 Issue 41, p5
Opinion. Comments on the costs and sources of funding for political advertisements of United States candidates for November 1998 elections. Implications of the campaign promises for small businesses; Essence of US Supreme Court decision on `Beck v. Communications Workers Union'; Union workers'...
- Time-out to win back government. // National Catholic Reporter;04/10/98, Vol. 34 Issue 23, p32
Editorial. Focuses on a bipartisan bill proposed by the United States Republican House leadership to prevent campaign finance reform for 1998. Name of the bill for the House of Representatives and the Senate; Reactions of the people on the bill; Interpretation of this government's action.
- NOTEBOOK. // New Republic;04/14/97, Vol. 216 Issue 15, p10
Presents news related to U.S. politics and government and the arts as of April 14, 1997. Comment on the manner in which winners and celebrities are treated in the Oscar Awards; Flaws in the article by John R. Lott Jr. about campaign spending; Impact of the decision of Kentucky Senator Wendell...
- NOTEBOOK. // New Republic;03/17/97, Vol. 216 Issue 11, p10
Presents an update on U.S. politics and government as of March 1997. Reason for the opposition of the National Right to Life to the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill; Categories used by President Bill Clinton in dividing guests whom he invited to sleep at the White House; Explanation...