GIVING NEW MEANING TO THE TERM 'TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM': INFLUENCES ON THE USE/NON-USE OF DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS AMONG ADOLESCENT ATHLETES
- A BITTER PILL. Cole, Ray // Muscle & Fitness;May2014, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p149
The article discusses the use of banned substances in natural supplements. Topics discussed include information on various banned substances like "insulin[-Iike] growth factor 1, human growth hormone, and some different forms of peptides by various sports league, health risks associated with...
- CONSUMO DE SUPLEMENTOS ALIMENTARES POR PRATICANTES DE EXERCÃCIO FÃSICO EM ACADEMIAS DE BAIRROS NOBRES DA CIDADE DO RECIFE. dos Santos, Helânia Virginia Dantas; de Oliveira, Camila Chiara Pereira; de Freitas, Ayane Kelly Carvalho; Navarro, Antonio Coppi // Revista Brasileira de NutriÃ§Ã£o e Esportiva;jul/ago2013, Vol. 7 Issue 40, p204
The practice of physical activities consolidated in much of the population in the last decade the market has grown alongside nutritional supplements is for aesthetic reasons or to improve some aspect of physical performance. In order to identify the prevalence of the use of nutritional...
- Does the evidence about health risks associated with nitrate ingestion warrant an increase of the nitrate standard for drinking water? Van Grinsven, Hans J. M.; Ward, Mary H.; Benjamin, Nigel; De Kok, Theo M. // Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source;2006, Vol. 5, p1
Several authors have suggested that it is safe to raise the health standard for nitrate in drinking water, and save money on measures associated with nitrate pollution of drinking water resources. The major argument has been that the epidemiologic evidence for acute and chronic health effects...
- healthy food craze goji berries. Turner, Lisa // Amazing Wellness;EarlyWinter2014, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p14
The article discusses medicinal uses of goji berries fruit as a herbal medicine in the treatment of health risks associated with skin cancer, immune system, and age-related blindness and also mentions tips for adding goji berries in daily food habits as a nutritional food supplement.
- Testosterone Replacement In Men. Barker, Jason // Townsend Letter;Jan2010, Issue 318, p53
The article discusses testosterone replacement for older men with lower levels. Though it is presumed that prostate cancer may possibly be stimulated due to testosterone replacement, the benefits of testosterone supplementations are said to be well-established and far outweigh the reported...
- Shark fin, a symbol of wealth and good fortune may pose health risks: the case of mercury. Man, Yu; Wu, Sheng; Wong, Ming // Environmental Geochemistry & Health;Dec2014, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p1015
There is a lack of information concerning human health risks due to exposure to mercury contained in shark fins, through dietary intake. Health risk assessment of shark fins, collected from 5 cities in China: Hong Kong (HK), Beijing, Shanghai (SH), Haikou (HN) and Wenzhou (WZ), was conducted,...
- Should nutritional supplements and sports drinks companies sponsor sport? A short review of the ethical concerns. Outram, Simon M; Stewart, Bob // Journal of Medical Ethics;Jun2015, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p447
This paper proposes that the sponsorship of sport by nutritional supplements and sport drinks companies should be re-examined in the light of ethical concerns about the closeness of this relationship. A short overview is provided of the sponsorship of sport, arguing that ethical concerns about...
- Herbs and supplements--what you need to know before you buy. Rafi, Natasha // Money;Apr2000, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p149
Offers health information on six of the most popular herbs and supplements. What consumers should do before taking Saint-John's-wort; Who benefits most from saw palmetto; Concerns over glucosamine/chondroitin.
- Dietary Supplements: Facts or Fad? Lewis, Richard D. // Athletic Therapy Today;Nov99, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p15
Evaluates the use of dietary supplements among athletes. Definition of the term ergogenic; Ideal way of improving performance; Importance of health programs on dietary supplements. INSETS: KEY POINTS;Junk Science.