Police Officer Candidate Assessment and Selection
- `Gypsy cops' pose threat to all levels of law enforcement. Kennedy Jr. // New Hampshire Business Review;09/24/99, Vol. 21 Issue 21, p19
Focuses on the problem of law enforcement agencies in the United States in screening out law enforcement officer candidates who are misrepresenting their prior police employment records. Importance of background investigation in evaluating the qualifications of these candidates; Importance of...
- Open season on the police. Sowell, Thomas // Wilson County News;11/4/2015, Vol. 42 Issue 44, p15A
The author reflects on a criminal act conducted against a teenager thug in Texas for a traffic violation that ended up in killing after he refused to show driver's license and got involved in assaulting the cob, and the author also mentions need of law enforcement.
- Bulletin Reports. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Sep2000, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p14
Presents news related to law enforcements in the United States (U.S.) as of September 2000. Information on the Public Safety Officers' Educational Assistance Program administered by the U.S. Department of Justice; Features of the `Strategic Approaches to Clandestine Drug Laboratory Enforcement'...
- Northwest Constitutional Rights Center Fights Police Misconduct. Querreal, Alejandro // Guild Notes;Spring2007, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p24
The article features the Northwest Constitutional Rights Center (NWCRC), which aims to eliminate racial profiling, protect the rights of political activists, and to ensure that police are held accountable for abusive and illegal actions in the Portland, Oregon. The Center has appealed to the...
- Relation of Police Misconduct to Authoritarianism. Henkel, James; Sheehan, Eugene P.; Reichel, Philip // Journal of Social Behavior & Personality;Jun97, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p551
This study was conducted to determine whether authoritarianism and closely related personality traits such as conformity and value orthodoxy predict police misconduct. Law enforcement officers in the United States completed the Short-Form Dogmatism Scale and Jackson Personality Inventory. They...
- To Protect and Serve. // Washington Informer;9/25/2014, Vol. 49 Issue 50, p25
The article highlights the behavior of law enforcement officers in the Washington D.C, highlighting the incident in Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library and comments by chief Cathy Lanier
- Black Civilian Treatment by White Officers During Videotaped Traffic Stops: How Extensive Policing Might Increase Racial Tension & Police Distrust. Dixon, Travis; Schell, Terry; Giles, Howard; Drogos, Kristin // Conference Papers -- National Communication Association;2009, p1
We content analyzed 325 randomly sampled video records of Cincinnati police department traffic stops from 2005. This analysis revealed three key racial differences: (a) Black drivers were more likely than White drivers to experience extensive policing during the stop, (b) Differences between the...
- Excessive Force 101. Montgomery, Dan // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Aug2005, Vol. 74 Issue 8, p8
Discusses the legal and practical dynamics involved in the use of physical force by law enforcement officers. Number of law enforcement officers who were feloniously slain in the line of duty in the U.S. and its territories from 1993 through 2002; Challenges faced by officers while performing...
- Addressing racial bias. // Washington Jewish Week;12/11/2014, Vol. 50 Issue 50, p29
The author reflects on the response of the Jewish community in the U.S. to the issue of racial profiling and police abuse of power in the country, citing decisions by grand juries in two cases involving white police officers accused of killing unarmed African-American men.