The Evolution of the Role and Office of the First Lady: The Movement Toward Integration with the White House Office
- Using All Available Means of Persuasion: The Twentieth Century First Lady as Public Communicator. Gutin, Myra // Social Science Journal;2000 Index Issue, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p563
Focuses on the public communication skills of first ladies in the United States. First ladies' use of public discourse, media and writings; Social hostesses and ceremonial presences; Independent activists and political surrogates.
- Party Politics: The Political Impact of the First Ladies' Social Role. Mayo, Edith P. // Social Science Journal;2000 Index Issue, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p577
Examines the political impact of first ladies' social role in the United States. Epitome of the chief executive's social entertaining; Development of the social role.
- Role Constraints and First Ladies. Wekkin, Gary D. // Social Science Journal;2000 Index Issue, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p601
Focuses on the role of first ladies in the United States. Capacities or advantages of the role of the first lady; Consigliere role; Shadow president.
- Ssh! // Time;9/1/1975, Vol. 106 Issue 9, p10
The article discusses the statements made by First Lady Betty Ford on the personal questions the media ask her regarding life. It states that her interview with Myra MacPherson, Ford recalls the moment their king's size bed was moved to the White House and how she manage to sleep with her...
- Clinton, Hillary Rodham. G. O.; M. E. R. // Current Biography;Mar2009, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p16
A biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton, former secretary of the U.S. Department of State, Senator and First Lady, is presented. She was born on October 26, 1947 in Chicago, Illinois. She finished her Business Administration degree at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. She then enrolled law at...
- Farrell: A Nod to Laura Bush. Farrell, John Aloysius // U.S. News Digital Weekly;5/1/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 15, p21
The author evaluates the performance of Laura Bush as a First Lady of the U.S.
- HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON 42nd FIRST LADY. // Monkeyshines on America;Jul1997 Arkansas Issue, p4
The article profiles the First Lady of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton. From an early age, Hillary Rodham took an active role in the welfare of others in her community in a Chicago, Illinois, suburb. When Hillary Rodham met U.S. President Bill Clinton, she was a student at Yale...
- First Ladies. Gould, Lewis L. // American Scholar;Autumn86, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p528
Discusses the American people's fascination with their First Ladies. Analysis of the performance of First Ladies; Reasons why First Ladies captivate the public; Ways in which the relationship between First Ladies and the American people have evolved in the 20th century; Quality of participation...
- Who is our new first lady? Rollins, Katharina // New York Amsterdam News;1/22/2009, Vol. 100 Issue 4, p29
The article features U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama. Obama grew up on the South Side of Chicago in a one bedroom apartment. Tight-knit family bonds and the pursuit of education were the foundation of what she is today. According to her brother Craig, they were always smart, they were always...