- Habitats near home. // Current Health 1;Mar1993, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p17
Suggests ways on how to start a habitat program. Selection of the right place; Cultivating native specimens; Sufficient food and water; Security; Caring for it; Keeping a journal; Where to get more informations. INSET: Adopting a habitat..
- Squatters vs. exotic beasts on `Jurassic Park' isle. Wallerstein, Claire // Christian Science Monitor;1/13/98, Vol. 90 Issue 33, p7
Reports on the continuing controversy in the Philippines in 1998 over the island of Calauit, which was turned into a wildlife reserve in 1976 by former President Ferdinand Marcos. How Marcos evicted the residents of the island to make the reserve; How the residents returned in 1986 and have...
- Weeding program first step in restoration of Mauritius Island. // International Wildlife;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p28
Focuses on the management plan for Round Island, off the coast of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean, prepared by the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust. Why the island is a natural for a reserve; The controlled access to the island.
- Preserves/sanctuaries. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);5/23/94, Vol. 41 Issue 21, Leisure Guide p78
Presents a list of preserves and sanctuaries found in Long Island, New York.
- A PLACE FOR THEM. Phillips, James // Sarasota Magazine;Mar2003, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p94
Focuses on Wildlife Inc., a sanctuary for injured and abandoned creatures in Sarasota, Florida created by Ed and Gail Straight. Idea for the center from experience with an orphaned baby duck; Assistance of other volunteers in the care of the animals on Anna Maria Island; Challenges of...
- Bright future for Canada's habitat. // Outdoor Life;Mar92, Vol. 189 Issue 3, p9
Reports that Wildlife Habitat Canada's (WHC) board of directors has approved the spending of more than $1.3 million to fund 16 new and already-in-progress Canadian habitat conservation initiatives. Specifics on the programs.
- Refuges: Get with the program. Holladay, C. // Outdoor Life;May92, Vol. 189 Issue 5, p14
States that hunting, fishing and trapping are at stake in `Refuges 2003--A Plan for the Future,' the current restructuring plan for the nation's wildlife refuges. Hearings; Information on obtaining current alternatives under consideration.
- More Room to Roam. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;4/12/2004, Vol. 72 Issue 21, p3
Reports on the expansion that will be undergone by Myanmar's Hukawng Valley Wildlife Sanctuary that will make it the largest tiger reserve in the world.
- The predator problem. Reiger, George // Field & Stream;Jun92, Vol. 97 Issue 2, p16
Discusses the delicate balance in nature between predator and prey, and offers suggestions in which a happy medium can be obtained. The wildlife profession's increasing reluctance to control predation; Vigilantism; The seven year quail study conducted at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, which found...
- Wild times in West Virginia. J.R.; Reynolds, Joe // Field & Stream;Mar1993, Vol. 97 Issue 11, p80
Discusses the Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge in West Virginia. Dedication of the refuge; Supporting diverse fish and wildlife species; Description of islands; Bill Tolin's role in the refuge.