The Influence of Gender-role Socialization, Media Use and Sports Participation on Perceptions of Gender-Appropriate Sports
- Are College Students 'Bowling Alone?' Examining the Contribution of Team Identification to the Social Capital of College Students. Clopton, Aaron W.; Finch, Bryan L. // Journal of Sport Behavior;Dec2010, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p377
While college sport can impact a campus' sense of community (Clopton, 2007), no empirical research has established a connection with college sport and social capital, an increasingly researched social phenomenon defined as the sum of trust and reciprocating relationships amongst members of a...
- An Exploratory Investigation of Sportsmanship Attitudes Among College Student Basketball Fans. Rudd, Andy; Gordon, Brian S. // Journal of Sport Behavior;Dec2010, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p466
This study sought to investigate college sport spectators' understanding and valuing of sportsmanship. It was hypothesized that one of the reasons sportsmanship policies and initiatives fail to curtail poor sportsmanship is because sport spectators lack a solid understanding and valuing of...
- Gender Differences in Sport Involvement. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Dec1991, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p429
The article presents an abstract of a study by J. S. Eccles and R. D. Harold, originally published in the "Journal of Applied Sport Psychology," which examined gender differences in sports participation using Eccles' expectancy-value model. Eccles' model indicated that perceived ability, success...
- Attitudes and Sexual Prejudice in Sport and Physical Activity. // Journal of Sport Management;Oct2006, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p554
This study focused on attitudes and sexual prejudice as part of a larger project on inclusive practice in sport and physical activity settings. Questionnaires were administered to a large sample of undergraduate students and to selected samples of upper-level preprofessional students and a...
- Task-involving climate is tops. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Jun1999, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p182
Cites a study by Y. Ommundsen et al in volume 16 of the `Journal of Sports Sciences,' on motivational climate, achievement goal orientation, satisfaction and its sources, achievement strategies and reasons for team sport involvement among university students. Relationship between perception,...
- Character or characters? // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Mar1997, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p115
Presents an abstract of the article entitled `College students' perceptions of the purposes of sport,' by M.E. Finkenberg and E.M. Moode and published by the periodical `Perceptual and Motor Skills.'
- Coeds jump into sports. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;10/30/97, Vol. 174 Issue 83, p17
Details findings of a survey, conducted by Network Event Theater and The Greenfield Consulting Group, about the attitudes of college women and men towards sports. Amount of time spent exercising; Popular sports activities; Differences in attitude when it comes to watching sports on television.
- Sports betting by college students: Who bets and how often? Oster, Steven L.; Knapp, Terry J. // College Student Journal;Jun98, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p289
Focuses on a study on the sports betting behavior of college students. Methodology of the study; Instrument and procedure used in the study; Results of the study.
- Making the grade. Gilbreath, Ed // Campus Life;Mar1995, Vol. 53 Issue 8, Supplement p76
Offers tips for getting comfortable at college. The stages students go through in adjusting to college life, from an article by William Zeller and Robert Mosier in the `Journal of College and University Student Housing,' Winter 1993; Dorm-room devotions in `First Days in College,' by Harwell...