Trade-union membership is declining globally
- Labor organizations report membership declined in 1974-76. // Monthly Labor Review;Jan78, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p37
Reports on the decline in trade-union membership in the U.S. from 1974 to 1976. Changes in the State and local government membership; Number of union and employee association members in manufacturing industries; Women membership in trade-unions.
- Members and Nonmembers Determinants of Dues-Paying Membership in a Bargaining Unit. McClendon, John A. // Relations Industrielles / Industrial Relations;Spring2000, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p332
Examines the determinants of dues-paying membership in the Temple Association of University Professionals in the United States. Relationship of behavior with the attitudes about unions; Perceptions on the effectiveness of alternative faculty governance; Views on the appropriateness of...
- Regional Trends. // Monthly Labor Review;Sep2000, Vol. 123 Issue 9, p40
Presents updates on regional labor trends in the United States as of September 2000. Union membership rates by state in 1999; State multiple jobholding rates in 1999.
- Unionism and Altruism. Fiorito, Jack // Labor Studies Journal;Fall92, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p19
Reexamines factors motivating trade union support. Dissatisfaction with current job and employment conditions; Improvement in welfare of all workers; Willingness to overcome general negative image of unions.
- Union membership by State. // Monthly Labor Review;Jun99, Vol. 122 Issue 6, p39
Reports the union membership of workers in several states of the United States. Membership rates of nineteen states; States that are more unionized since 1995.
- Organized Labor's Dilemma. Mayer, Henry // Labor Law Journal;Aug62, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p676
Discusses the decline in union membership in the U.S since 1953. Problems of internal discrimination and ideological conflict; Member apathy; Principles of democracy. INSET: YOUTH HAS FIRST CLAIM ON THE NATION'S CONSCIENCE.
- UNION MEMBERSHIP IN JAPAN EDGED UPWARD IN 1972. // Monthly Labor Review;Jul73, Vol. 96 Issue 7, p51
Reports on key issues and developments relevant to union membership in Japan compiled as of July 1973. Overview of trade-union membership in various industries; Factors influencing decreases in membership; Statistics on union membership.
- First Workers' Memorial Day observed in 1989. // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;4/19/2012, Vol. 75 Issue 37, following p14
The article presents information on the first Workers Memorial Day which was observed in 1989 in the honor of the workers who have been killed or injured on the job.
- Where unions are strongest--and weakest. // U.S. News & World Report;3/25/96, Vol. 120 Issue 12, p19
Presents a map of the United States that shows which states have the highest and lowest percentages of union members. Labor unions in the U.S. from 1953 through 1996.