IRS Official: 'Glitch in Law' Could Endanger 501 (c) (3) s
- IRS UBIT Letter May Pose Tax Threat For Movement. Burger, Carol Anne // Credit Union Journal;3/12/2007, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) released the Technical Advice Memoranda (TAM) on March 2, 2007 regarding Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT). Since last 10 years, the National Association of State Credit Union Supervisors and UBIT Steering Committee were waiting...
- INTEREST DEDUCTIONS IN A MULTIJURISDICTIONAL WORLD. Desai, Mihir A.; Dharmapala, Dhammika // National Tax Journal;Sep2015, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p653
This paper proposes and evaluates alternative methods for addressing the tax treatment of interest expenses in a multijurisdictional setting. The differential deductibility of debt entailed by various current tax law provisions leads to potential distortions in the patterns of asset ownership...
- Latest UBIT TAM From IRS Adds Shared Branching To List Of Taxable Items. Roberts, Ed // Credit Union Journal;8/10/2009, Vol. 13 Issue 32, p2
The article reports on the issuance of the Technical Advice Memorandum (TAM) by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the credit unions. The issuance of the TAM is indicated to make revenues from shared branching to be taxable under the Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT). The move is...
- Some of museum's sales subject to UBIT. // Practical Accountant;Feb96, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p19
Reports on a tax regulation that a museum's sale of books, tapes, records, films, compact discs, toys, food and other items were not subject to the unrelated business income tax since the sales contributed to the museum's educational mission. Contemporary products that were excluded from the ruling.
- Editor's Note. Miller, John J. // Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport;Summer2013, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p53
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including the regulation of athlete endorsements in the U.S., the impact of unrelated business income taxation on college football organizers, and athletic directors' values in the U.S.
- THE UNFAIRNESS DOCTRINE: COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING PROFITS AS UNRELATED BUSINESS INCOME. Lehrfeld, William J. // Tax Lawyer;Winter70, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p349
Deals with the impact of unrelated business income tax on advertising in the United States. Organizations exempted from taxation; Impropriety in adoption of a per se rule to advertising from commercial sources; Determination of the periodic nature of commercial activities.
- Association loses UBIT case. // Association Management;Oct97, Vol. 49 Issue 10, p10
Reports on the decision by the United States Court of Appeals regarding the unrelated business income tax (UBIT) case involving the State Police Association of Massachusetts (SPAM). Results of the verdict; Arguments put forward by SPAM; Monetary amount to be paid by the group.
- The accountant's bookshelf. // National Public Accountant;May94, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p11
Reviews the `Guide to Unrelated Business Income Tax,' published by the Thompson Publishing Group.
- Publicly-traded Partnerships and Unrelated Business Taxable Income. Buckles, Johnny Rex // Tax Lawyer;Fall99, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p129
Examines whether a tax-exempt partner's investment in a publicly-traded partnership (PTP) is the same as investments in partnerships for purposes of determining an organization's unrelated taxable income (UBTI). Taxation of PTP; Details on tax-exempt PTP partners and UBTI; Information on...