Municipalization of Utilities May Follow on Heels of Deregulation
- Diversification in the U.S. Electric Utility Industry: Motives, Types and Results. Zahra, Shaker A.; Zahra, Patricia H. // American Business Review;Jun91, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p79
This article examines the reasons for and patterns of electric utilities' diversification. It also evaluates the financial effect of utilities' diversification by reviewing published studies on the issue. Finally, the article concludes by delineating guidelines for effective future...
- The Calm After the Calm. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;12/27/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31541, p1
Reports on the stability of financial conditions of municipal electric utilities in 2002 in the U.S. Prediction for the year 2003; Risk factors associated with the economy of electric utilities; Stability in the credit outlook of the utilities.
- Plan: Undo link tying utilities' sales to profits. Snyder, Jim // Hill;2/11/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 16, p12
The article reports on the proposal that gains steam on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. in which the electric utilities run by power companies will earn the same disregarding how much electricity they sell.
- People can't pay lights bills. Mabotja, Sello // Finance Week;2/8/2002, p69
Reports on the inability of households in South Africa to pay their electric bills. Growth trend of electricity consumption in Soweto; Efforts of the state-owned electric utility to strengthen credit management, normalize debt and improve delivery service.
- Electricity sectors in transition. Joskow, Paul L. // Energy Journal;1998, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p25
Discusses the structural and regulatory changes that are affecting electricity sectors worldwide. Direction of change toward promoting competition in the supply of generation services; Restructuring of electricity supply enterprises to clearly separate the provision of competitive generation...
- Discussion of Paul Joskow's paper `Electricity Sectors in Transition'. Ailleret, Francois // Energy Journal;1998, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p53
Comments on Paul Joskow's paper on the transition of the electricity sectors worldwide published in a 1998 issue of `The Energy Journal.' Concern expressed by certain states to preserve their energy independence and to develop their national infrastructure; Short-term competitiveness that will...
- Discussion of Paul Joskow's paper `Electricity Sectors in Transition'. Jefferies, David // Energy Journal;1998, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p57
Comments on writer Paul Joskow's paper about the reasons for restructuring an electricity sector, published in a 1998 issue of `The Energy Journal.' International forefront of the deregulation and privatization process; Increased competition in the electricity industries as the means to provide...
- Northeast ISOs find strength in numbers. // Electrical World;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 213 Issue 5, p8
Reports that three Northeastern State ISO, ISO New England, New York ISO and the Pennsylvania-New Jersey-Maryland Interconnection, signed a memorandum of understanding designed to increase their cooperative efforts. Goal to enhance power supplier reliability.
- E-mail to editor. Donley, Mark E. // Electrical World;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 214 Issue 1, p12
Presents a reader's reaction to an article published in the November/December 1999 issue of the periodical 'Electrical World' regarding the outlook of electric utilities in the United States on competition in the industry. Investor-owned electric utilities as receiving greater federal subsidies...