THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT
- Congress Considers Volume Cap, Housing Tax Credit. Ferris, Craig T.; Kinnander, Ola; Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;12/18/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30139, p40
Reports on the United States House and Senate's plan to approve proposals to increase the private-activity bond volume cap and the low-income housing tax credit as part of a session-ending spending and tax package. Proposed creation of more empowerment zones and the extension of existing zones...
- Congress Likely to Put QZAB Extension on Back Burner Until Fall Session. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;7/27/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32432, p4
The article reports on the possibility that a U.S. congressional conference committee attempting to finalize pension reform legislation may decide to couple a "trailer" set of tax cut extensions with estate tax reform in a separate bill. A one-year extension for qualified zone academy bonds is...
- Cost of Senate Bill Muni Provisions Rise. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;5/24/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31890, p4
Focuses on the municipal bond provisions in the U.S. Senate's corporate tax bill. Estimated cost of the provisions; Measures proposed to spur the issuance of industrial development bonds; Proposed repeal of the ten-year rule for single-family revenue bonds.
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;10/12/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31987, p33
Reports on the status of various U.S. legislative bills concerning municipal bonds and public finance as of October 12, 2004. Safe, Accountable, Flexible, and Efficient Transportation Equity Act of 2003; Jumpstart Our Business Strength Act and American Jobs Creation Act of 2004; Energy Tax...
- Whither de minimis? House, Senate meet to discuss tax bill. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/14/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30186, p1
Reports on the meeting held between House and Senate negotiators to discuss the resolution of differences between the two chambers' versions of tax-reduction legislation that would stop most corporations from buying municipal bonds. Terms the legislation endorsed by the House and the Clinton...
- Congress abandons proposal to repeal de minimis rule. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/28/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30196, p1
Reports on the cancellation of a proposal in the US Congress to repeal the de minimis tax rule that encourages corporate buying of municipal bonds. US President Bill Clinton's support for the repeal of the two percent de minimis rule; Opposition of municipal bond market advocates to the...
- Washington voters approve tax limits despite warnings. Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;11/4/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30762, p1
Reports that Washington voters approved a proposed measure in November 1999 that would limit the state's tax authority. Provisions of the measure; Impact on the state's ability to issue bonds.
- Senate GOP Delays Vote on Tax Bill Clinton Might Veto. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;10/30/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31006, p4
Highlights the decision United States Senate Republican leaders to postpone a vote on the party's tax cut bill. Municipal bond-related provisions of the tax bill; Aim to buy time for negotiations with the White House; U.S. President Bill Clinton's pledge to veto the bill.
- Observers are unsure if tax bill will address muni issues. Resnick, Amy T. // Bond Buyer;08/27/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30466, p4
Reports on legislators' plans of introducing a tax bill in the United States before adjourning for the fall election. Congressional sources' inability to confirm the inclusion of tax provisions affecting the municipal bond market in the US; Legislators' development of legislation increasing...