Sales Tax Project Adds Members, Releases Drafts
- A Review of the Streamlined Sales Tax Pilot: Kansas, Michigan, North Carolina, and Wisconsin. Bauman, Christine C.; Foran, Nancy J.; Spindle, Roxanne M.; Tower, Ralph B.; Yancey, Will // Journal of State Taxation;Fall2001, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p1
Examines the streamlined sales tax program in Kansas, Michigan, North Carolina and Wisconsin. Projected sales tax losses in 2003; Reasons cited by states for developing a sales tax program.
- Streamlined Sales Tax Proposals Released. Duncan, Harley T. // Tax Executive;Sep/Oct2000, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p371
Reports the release of the proposed Streamlined Sales Tax Project across the United States in September 2000. Areas of the project; Features of a streamlined sales tax system; Recommendations.
- Multistate Taxation. Mercer, Mark; Hightower, Charlotte // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;Jun2002, Vol. 3 Issue 9, p45
Discusses recent developments in sales taxation of states in the U.S. as of June 2002. Ruling of the Indiana Tax Court on the assignment of the right to a sales tax deduction; Decision of the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board on a case involving Circuit City Stores Inc.; Expansion of the...
- Voters need to stand firm against sales tax. Waxman, Lionel // Inside Tucson Business;05/17/99, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p5
Relates the need for American voters to be firm in opposing new forms of tax proposed by the United States and the federal governments. Increase in sales taxes paid by Americans; Increase in the number of income taxes; Mindset proposed for city governments in providing county services; Proper...
- Four States to Try Online Sales and Use Tax Collection. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/04/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30989, p5
Reports on the Streamlined Sales Tax Project in the United States. Simplification of the sales and use tax system; Removal of the burden of collecting sales and use tax from retailers.
- Report Finds Sales Tax Growth Slowed in 1Q. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;06/14/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31160, p4
Reports on sales tax growth in the first quarter of 2001 in the United States. Weakening of growth in sales tax collections; Effects of legislated tax changes.
- National sales tax could benefit everyone. Pilla, Daniel J. // Human Events;12/22/95, Vol. 51 Issue 49, p20
Reports that for years Washington social planners have attempted to use tax policy as a means to help the poor. Adoption of a progressive scheme of taxation to benefit those on the lower segment of society; Advantages that can be derived from the elimination of income tax; Sales tax as part of...
- E-TAX IS COMING. // Commercial Law Bulletin;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p7
Reports on the results of a survey regarding taxation of sales generated over the Internet in the U.S. Anticipation of taxation; Cash-strapped situation of states; Raised rates on sales tax.
- Tax sales, not income. Burton, David R. // USA Today Magazine;Jul98, Vol. 127 Issue 2638, p18
Predicts that there will be a healthier economy if the tax system in the United States is replaced with a national sales tax. Benefits of a national sales tax; Problems with the income tax; Impact of a sales tax on prices.