NEWS IN BRIEF
- State looks to unemployment for budget fix. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;6/24/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 25, p7
Focuses on the proposal of the administration for unemployment-insurance taxes paid by employers in Michigan. Total amount of the unemployment money; Response of the business and labor sector on the proposal; Allegation of the Michigan State AFL-CIO on the proposal.
- La restructuration rÃ©cente des politiques sociales au Canada et au QuÃ©bec : Ã©lÃ©ments d'analyse. Groulx, Lionel-Henri // Labour / Le Travail;Spring2009, Vol. 63, p9
SINCE THE MID-1990'S, Canada and Quebec have initiated important changes to their system of social protection; the objectives of the reforms were to control public expenditure or attain zero deficit, improve the efficiency of social policies, particularly in relation to employment incentives,...
- Nation skirts fiscal cliff, prepares for debt ceiling battle. Kilcarr, Sean // Fleet Owner Blog;1/2/2013, p5
The article reports that the U.S. House of Representatives voted on January 1, 2013 to pass a fiscal cliff deal proposed by U.S. Senate to raise tax rates of individuals earning above 400,000 U.S. dollars a year and couples earning over 450,000 U.S. dollars annually. Unemployment insurance was...
- Hard Times for Some Worker Safety Nets. Conradi, Melissa // Governing;Nov2002, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p70
Reports on the bankruptcy threat facing state unemployment insurance funds in the U.S. in 2002. Option facing Texas on its unemployment insurance fund; Nature of unemployment insurance funds; Comments from Maurice Emsellem, unemployment insurance specialist for the National Employment Law Project.
- PRESIDENT'S LETTER TO THE HOUSE. Roosevelt, Franklin D. // Congressional Digest;Apr42, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p102
Presents a letter of U.S. president Franklin D .Roosevelt to Congress asking for unemployment compensation funds. Proposal to have a national system of unemployment insurance with adequate benefit provisions; Appointment of the Social Security Board to supervise state unemployment agencies...
- Unemployment Insurance: The Recipients and Its Impacts. Barron, John M.; Mellow, Wesley // Southern Economic Journal;Jan81, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p606
During the 1974-76 period, federal and state payment of unemployment insurance (UI) benefits exceeded 36 billion dollars; at the same time, the unemployment rate reached a postwar high. These dramatic magnitudes stimulated an increased interest among researchers and policy makers concerning the...
- Analysis: Budget Results and Financing of the U.S. Government and Third-Quarter Receipts by Source. // Treasury Bulletin;Sep2004, p12
Presents a capsule analysis of budget receipts, by source, for the third quarter of fiscal year 2004 that supplements fiscal data reported in the June 2004 issue of the "Treasury Bulletin." Individual income taxes; Corporate income taxes; Employment taxes and contributions; Unemployment insurance.
- AN ANALYSIS OF GOVERNMENT SPENDING IN THE FREQUENCY DOMAIN. Cohen, Darrel // Public Finance & Management;Mar2007, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p9
This paper utilizes frequency-domain techniques to characterize economically important properties of government spending and to determine the degree of substitutability between government and private consumption expenditures. Using post-war data for the United States, the analysis reveals that...
- ACTION TAKEN ON THE EMERGENCY MEASURES. // Congressional Digest;Jun/Jul58, Vol. 37 Issue 6/7, p169
Discusses action taken by the U.S. Congress on the emergency measures. Emergency tax reduction; Increase in federal spending for public works; Extension of unemployment compensation; Douglas-Payne Area Redevelopment Bill; Fulbright Community Facilities Bill;.