Chapters Shoots Down Initial Takeover Bid, But More Are Expected To Follow
- Competition ruling on chains expected by June. Weiler, Derek; Anderson, Scott; Crawley, Devin // Quill & Quire;Mar2001, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p5
Reports the merger between Indigo company and the Chapters company. Expansion plans of both companies; Recognition of profits; Improvement of the marketing structures.
- GOVERNMENT OKAY'S CHAPTERS-INDIGO DEAL. Eichler, Leah // Publishers Weekly;4/9/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 15, p12
Highlights the approval of the Canadian government on the merger agreement of Chapters Inc. and Indigo Books & Music Inc. Conditions given to Chapters Inc. before merging with Indigo; Recognition by the Association of Canadian Publishers on the decision of the government; Importance of ethics...
- Government Approves Chapters-Indigo Merger. Eichler, Leah // Publishers Weekly;6/18/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 25, p10
Reports that Canada's Competition Tribunal has finally approved the Chapters Inc.-Indigo merger. Worth of the merger; Association that supports the merger; Expectation from the merger.
- Indigo Edges Into The Black Despite Harsh Market. // Book Publishing Report;6/16/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 23, p1
Reports on the improvement in the financial performance of Indigo Books & Music Inc. after merging with Chapters Inc. Net profit; Benefits of Indigo's strategy of closing stores that underperform; Store sales; Increase in consolidated sales.
- INDIGO GETS READY. Lorinc, John // Quill & Quire;Mar1997, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p1
Reports on Canada-based Indigo Books & Music Inc.'s plans to open a chain of bookstores in Toronto, Ontario and Burlington, Vermont following its acquisition of independent book chain Printed Passage Books. Development of book stores near theaters and other entertainment centers for greater...
- INDIES vs. CHAINS. Toller, Carol; Anderson, Scott; Berger, Carol; Domet, Stephanie; Hughes, Cathie; Lahey, Anita; Peryman, Lisa // Quill & Quire;Mar1998, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p1
Reports that 'Quill and Quire' magazine's 1998 annual store survey in Canada has found that independent bookstores are resisting pressure to discount due to the growing competition in the market. Chapters Inc.'s increase of its selection of discounted bestsellers to match rival Indigo;...
- YESTERDAY'S SUIT. // Quill & Quire;Apr97, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p13
Reports on the decision made by Chapters Inc. to withdraw the lawsuit filed by it against the company Indigo. Allegations on Indigo; Reasons behind the withdrawal; Indigo's plan of filing a counter lawsuit against Chapters Inc.
- Indigo Books & Music Admits Red Ink. Eichler, Leah // Publishers Weekly;7/23/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 30, p11
Focuses on a financial report which confirmed the unprofitability of the Canadian bookstore chain, Indigo Books & Music Incorporated. Revenue loss posted in the fiscal year ending January 2001; Merger plan between Indigo and Chapters Inc.; Terms of the planned merger; Value of the restructuring...
- SETTLING DOWN. MacDonald, Scott // Quill & Quire;May2006, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p22
The article reports that five years after the Indigo-Chapters merger publishers in Canada are slowly finding some common ground with merger chain. The consent order that Indigo CEO Heather Reisman signed at the time to seal the deal will also expire soon. Mandated by the Canadian Competition...