Marva Louis Spaulding, Ex-Wife Of Heavyweight Boxing Great Joe Lewis, Succumbs
- Max Schmeling, Joe Louis' Boxing Rival And Close Friend, Dies In Germany. // Jet;2/28/2005, Vol. 107 Issue 9, p49
Reports on the death of German boxer Max Schmeling, who was a close friend of boxer Joe Louis. Details of his career as a boxer; Friendship between Louis and Schmeling.
- Illinois golf course to bear name of Joe Louis. // Jet;9/11/89, Vol. 76 Issue 23, p51
Reports on the renaming of a Riverdale, Ill., 18-hole golf course in honor of black heavyweight boxing champion Joe Louis.
- With Mandela. Wilkinson, R.; Light, K. // Mother Jones;Nov/Dec90, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p18
Covers the similarities and differences in public reception of fighter Joe Louis and freedom fighter Nelson Mandela.
- Memorable photos from the Ebony files. // Ebony;Jan1989, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p64
Photo of heavyweight champion Joe Louis knocking his German challenger Max Schmeling into the ropes during their rematch in Yankee Stadium in 1938.
- The bomber's legacy. // Golf Magazine;Sep93, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p19
Recalls Joe Louis, `The Brown Bomber,' a champion at boxing and a six-handicapper at golf. Golf as Louis' passion; How golf suited his physical abilities and his personality; Louis as benefactor to aspiring black golf pros, including Ted Rhodes and Bill Spiller; His success in helping to break...
- JOE LOUIS. // Great Athletes (Salem Press);2001, p1509
Profiles boxer Joe Louis.
- Joe Louis, R I P. // National Review;5/1/1981, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p472
The article presents an obituary for U.S. boxer Joe Louis.
- THE LOVES OF JOE LOUIS. // Ebony;Nov1978, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p43
The article talks about the beautiful women with whom former African American boxing champion Joe Louis had fallen in love, as revealed in his autobiography "Joe Louis: My Life." His first marriage was to model Marva Trotter held two hours before his fight with Max Baer in September 1935. He had...
- 1937. Ide, Karolyn // American Heritage;May/Jun87, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p140
Presents events that occurred in the United States in the year 1937. World heavy-weight boxing champion Joe Louis; Explosion of the German blimp, the Hindenburg; Death of actress Jean Harlow from kidney failure.