As Arkansas Jails Overflow, Sheriffs Ponder Their Options
- Private Jail? We Want One. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/5/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32459, p31
No abstract available.
- Texas County Plans November Bond Question for New Jail. Philyaw, Jason // Bond Buyer;10/25/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32494, p40
The article reports on the plan of Bandera County, Texas to ask voters to approve an $11.4 million bond issue for the construction of a jail. County Commissioner Doug King explains that the proposed facility will function as a complete justice center and courtroom. The bond package include $9...
- Voters OK Tax Hike to Build New Jail for Izard County, Ark. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/13/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31180, p3
Reports that county voters in Izard County, Arkansas approved a temporary sales tax to back bonds that will finance construction of a jail. Bond authorization; Jail and prison bond sales from 1991 to 2000.
- Second Chance for Jail. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/16/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31842, p31
Reports that officials of Denver, Colorado, has resurrected a bond-financed plan to build a downtown jail and courthouse.
- Commissioners delay decision on future of old jail building. Rupkalvis, David // Graham Leader;6/24/2009, Vol. 133 Issue 90, p4A
The article reports on the move of Young County commissioners to accept the work on the courthouse grounds that came in $1,700 under budget in Texas. It states that the final cost of the work done by Jake Womack Construction came in under budget due to several work changes. It also offers...
- Bernalillo County, N.M., Leasing Old Jail in Order to Back New Jail Bonds. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p29
Reports on the plans of Bernalillo County, New Mexico to lease its jail in Albuquerque, New Mexico to a private operator and use the rent to back revenue bonds for a psychiatric unit. Estimated cost of the psychiatric unit; Criticism of the county's plans; Credit ratings of the county.
- Arizona Taxpayers Find Revenues Not Going Directly to Jail. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/09/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31673, p4
Reports on the approval by voters in Maricopa County, Arizona for the maintenance of jails in the county. Plans of the county to build a training department the collected tax; Features of the training department; Comments of the president of Arizona Tax Research Association Kelvin McCarthy over...
- SHERIFF TAKES A STAND Thanks to an expanded jail, the worst of the worst stay behind bars. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/2/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 49, p40
Comments on the expansion of the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Problem of overcrowding that the jail experienced prior to the expansion; Agreement among local municipalities to put video poker revenues into a pool that would be used to pay for an expanded...
- Expanded jail sharply reduces inmate releases caused by overcrowding. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/2/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 49, p40
Reports on how the expansion of the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, resulted in the reduction of inmate releases. Number of inmates that the Sheriff's Office had to release each month because of overcrowding; Total number of beds at the jail after the...