A picture of global health
- In rebel Aceh, neutral isn't safe. Murphy, Dan // Christian Science Monitor;1/24/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 41, p6
Discusses the social conditions in Aceh, Indonesia, including the targeting of aid groups and nonviolent activists.
- From chaos to crisis in lush Indonesia. Schroth, Raymond A. // National Catholic Reporter;08/28/98, Vol. 34 Issue 37, p12
Offers a look at the social and economic conditions in Indonesia. Growth on the number of street people, beggars and prostitutes in the country; Impact of the riots and fires in the country; Details on the riots directed against the Chinese in the country.
- Quiet vignettes in Indonesia. Barr, Cameron W. // Christian Science Monitor;1/28/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 46, p7
Presents the observations of the author who is residing in Ambon, Indonesia. Why the potential for peace is present despite religious conflicts between Muslims and Christians.
- Crackdown greets independence rallies. RODEN, DUNCAN // Green Left Weekly;12/11/2013, Issue 992, p16
The article offers information on the violence that erupted after commemorating the declaration of independence of West Papua, a province of Indonesia, in which several people were killed and arrested.
- INDONESIA: Violence and Reform Beyond Jakarta. Malley, Michael // Southeast Asian Affairs;2001, p159
Focuses on the political reformation under the administration of Prime Minister Soeharto in Indonesia. Warning on decentralization of political power; Revival of the Acehnese movement after resignation of Soeharto; Assassination of prominent people in the country.
- SOCIAL OVERVIEW. // Indonesia Country Review;2007, p113
The article presents information on the social condition of Indonesia as of July 2007, including cultural diversity and human development.
- Values, faith may plug Indonesia's volcanic crisis. Shiner, Cindy // Christian Science Monitor;1/28/98, Vol. 90 Issue 43, p6
Discusses the social conditions in Indonesia in early 1998 as it tries to recover from an economic collapse which occurred in late 1997. The potential for violence from the population; The efforts of Abdurrahman Wahid and other opposition leaders to pressure President Suharto to step down; The...
- Turning on the Gas. Larmer, Brook; Moreau, Ron; Koch, Jacqueline M.; Cochrane, Joe // Bulletin with Newsweek;03/27/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6267, p80
Focuses on the separatist movement in Aceh, Indonesia, as of March 27, 2001. Collapse of peace talks between the rebels and the Indonesian government; Deployment of Indonesian military to the island; ExxonMobil's closure of its gas operations in Aceh.
- The Region: Indonesia. // Asian Business Review;Jan1999, p11
Presents news briefs on political and social issues in Indonesia. Conspiracy to overthrow the Habibie Government; Warning from Abdurrahman Wahid, head of Nahdlatul Ulama Muslim group, regarding Indonesia's social condition; Commitment among the armed forces.