THE LIFE AND TIMES OF NELSON MANDELA
- When I Was a Kid. Shepherdson, Nancy // National Geographic World;Nov99, Issue 291, p30
Traces the childhood experience of Nelson Mandela, president of South Africa. His African name and its meaning; Personal background; His life after his father died. INSET: When Nelson grew up....
- New freedom new choices. // Essence (Essence);Oct97, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p128
Provides information on Nelson Mandela, the elected president of South Africa. Description on the Reconstruction and Development Program, a governmental policy statement published in 1994; Sample of the residual effects of apartheid; Information on Mandela's cabinet members.
- 10 May 1994 a day to remember. // Lantern;Aug94, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p62
Recounts the biggest gathering of Heads-of-State on May 10, 1994 in Botha, South Africa, televised and witnessed by billions of people, for the swearing in of Nestor Mandela as the President of the nation and Mbeki and deKlerk as deputies. Government officials who grazed the event; Highlights...
- MANDELA, `THE RESPECTED ONE,' PAVES THE WAY TO THE FUTURE. Dhudlu, John // New Crisis (15591603);Jul98, Vol. 105 Issue 3, p33
Provides information on the leadership of South African President Nelson Mandela and describes his sacrifices for the common good of his people. His views on democracy; Significance of his inauguration to the country's industrialists; Reduction of violence in Natal under his leadership.
- Nelson Mandela: Father of Freedom. // Scholastic Scope (Teacher's Edition);2/21/2003, Vol. 51 Issue 13, pT-2
Suggests discussion questions for students, to understand the character of former South African president Nelson Mandela. Contents of the journal's play on Nelson Mandela; Prereading strategies; Extensions of the discussion.
- NELSON MANDELA: THE NEW SOUTH AFRICA'S 'FOUNDING FATHER.'. // New York Times Upfront;3/1/2010, Vol. 142 Issue 10, p13
The article features Nelson Mandela, the first democratically elected President of South Africa.
- South African President Nelson Mandela filing for divorce. // Jet;9/4/95, Vol. 88 Issue 17, p4
Reports on South African President Nelson Mandela's divorce from his estranged wife Winnie, ending their 37 years of marriage. Legal separation of couple in April 1992; Prison term for Mandela that ended in release in 1990; Termination of wife from government position.
- The Status of the Dream. Sparks, Allister // Wilson Quarterly;Spring99, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p66
Focuses on the reign of Nelson Mandela as president of South Africa. Inauguration in 1994; Challenges tackled by his government; Progress during his tenure.
- Mandela and the Kingdom Come. Jordan, June // Progressive;Apr90, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p12
Comments on the popularity and life story of African president, Nelson Mandela. Reputation; Political views and ideologies; Influences on politics and society.