In the Loop
- Wilderness Tips. Ross, Alec // Quill & Quire;Mar1996, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p26
Reports on the information furnished by travel guidebooks published by outdoor groups in Canada as of March 1996. Description of several hiking and mountain-biking trails by the book entitled 'Whitehorse & Area Hikes & Bikes'; Publishing of a book for experienced paddlers entitled 'Canoeing...
- Survival in the land of giants: Travel publishers find niche is nifty. Elash, Anita // Quill & Quire;Feb97, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p36
Discusses the publishers who in order to carve a niche for themselves produce dozens of guide books that focus on regions, cities and specific activities than a general guide in Canada. Views of Gracia Green on various guidebooks; Outcome of the neglect of basics in preparing guidebooks by...
- The joy of treks. Dahlin, Robert; Hix, Charles // Publishers Weekly;1/27/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 4, p40
Discusses the competitive field of travel books. Bullish news from the publishers; Disclosure by Ensley Eikenburg, editor of St. Martin's Press series, that the domestic sales of Let's Go guidebooks grew by 15 percent from 1996 to 1996; Citing by booksellers specializing in travel books of...
- TAKE A BREAK. // Travel Weekly Australia;10/31/2008, Issue 100, p17
The article offers information on the contests initiated by the publication in Australia. The periodical provides an opportunity for readers to participate and win fantastic prizes each week through its various games and contests provided. Aside from the said competition, it also brings tall...
- A WEEKEND GETAWAY. // Travel Weekly Australia;9/5/2008, Issue 96, p17
The article features the prize instore for the winner of the publication's "TravelWeekly.com.au" games in Australia. The said winner will have a two-night stay at their choice of accommodation worth $500, sponsored by TakeABreak.com.au. Winners have the option to chose from over 11,000 unique...
- Here and There and HCA. R. S. // Horn Book Magazine;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p645
Recounts the author's experience while visiting the International Youth Library in Germany. Comparison between the children's trade publishing in the U.S. and in Germany; Events that transpired during the trip to Germany; Usage of the word European.
- Budget Travel Guides. // Library Journal;5/1/1989, Vol. 114 Issue 8, p43
Examines series of guidebook for budget travelers. Lonely Planet books, founded in Australia, which aims at travel adventurers bound for exotic locations; Let's Go series, published by Harvard Student Agencies; Frommer "New World of Travel" sourcebook.
- A 1997 guide to the guides. Frederick, Heather Vogel // Publishers Weekly;1/27/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 4, p56
Presents an alphabetical listing by publisher of 1997 spring travel books. Abbeville; Academy Editions; Berlitz; Carousel Press; Chronicle Books; Dell; DK; Falcon; Fielding Worldwide; Fodor's; Other publishers.
- Travel by the Book. Beith, Malcolm // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);5/26/2003 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 141 Issue 21, p69
Due to the booming guidebook market, few places remain undiscovered. So travelers--and publishers--are going online. Publishers are starting to rethink their strategies, branching out to appeal to more specific requests. Most significantly, the books are going online. Chat rooms and message...