Ohio Looks at School Reform Proposals as Deadline Looms
- INEQUITIES IN PUBLIC SCHOOL CAPITAL FINANCE: EVIDENCE FROM SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN TEXAS. Gamkhar, Shama; Koerner, Mona // Proceedings of the Annual Conference on Taxation;2002, p213
Examines the inequities of public school spending in Texas. Constitutionality of school finance system; Distribution of capital finance across school districts; Existence of disparities in capital spending by school districts.
- Suffolk County, N.Y., Executive Proposes Cash Pooling With Schools, Towns. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;7/13/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32670, p7
The article reports that Suffolk County, New York executive Steve Levy has announced a proposal to pool the cash of the county and participating school districts into an investment fund to be managed by the state comptroller. The proposal has been raised during the talks between the Democratic...
- Operative word for this year is 'cheap' Marcus, Morton // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/7/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 44, p17A
Comments on the public spending policy in Indiana. Rank of the state in spending on education; Amount of spending on state and local government services; Difficulty of the state in providing services.
- Four to go. // NEA Today;Apr94, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p8
Reports on North Dakota Supreme Court justices' views on the state's method for financing education. Unfairness and inadequacy of school funding; Teachers' salaries ranking in 1994; Public's complacency.
- Extra aid to poor Ala. districts rankles wealthier ones. White, Kerry A. // Education Week;9/25/96, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p22
Focuses on the impact of a school-finance plan in Alabama on the state's best-funded school districts. Features of the plan; Total number of school districts in the state; Average per-pupil spending in the state; Benefits of the plan.
- Ala. governor's aid plan seeks more flexibility. Lawton, Millicent // Education Week;4/26/95, Vol. 14 Issue 31, p13
Reports that Alabama's financially strapped schools would receive little money from the funding proposal from Governor Fob James Jr. in the fiscal year 1996. Court order for the improvement of schools and making the funding system equitable; Lump-sum payments to school districts; Requirements...
- GETTING BY WITH LE$$. Dianis, Laura // District Administration;Mar2003, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p24
Focuses on means for increasing revenue and reducing budgetary red tape in school districts in the U.S. Difficulty for California school superintendents to balance their budgets due to bills introduced by state legislature; Founding contributions from corporations. INSETS: HOSPITALITY...
- New Mexico Extends Wait for School Districts Wanting Piece of $100 Million Pie. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;8/8/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31198, p34
Reports on the funding of school districts in New Mexico. Division of the 100 million dollar pool; Sales of short-term revenue bonds.
- Colorado Seeks Settlement in Suit Alleging Bias in School Funding. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;04/28/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30880, p1
Reports that Colorado officials are hoping that their pledge to pay 190 million dollars to correct inequities in school funding will settle a lawsuit alleging a bias in the way the state provides capital funds to poor school districts. Details of the settlement proposal; Details of the funding...