Time Is Slipping: The Great Data Race
- REMOTE control. Overholt, Alison // Fast Company;Feb2001, Issue 43, p72
Evaluates the Ricochet GS Modem from Metricom Inc. Connectivity speed; Installation of the modem; Price.
- Driving on the Autobahn. Sciannamea, Mike; Schiff, Debra // Electronic Design;05/27/97, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p48Z
Announces that Metricom Incorporated of Los Gatos, California, is using an unlicensed spectrum called Autobahn to speed up data rates on its wireless network. When Metricom's subscribers will benefit from the technology; Argument for the company's use of the unlicensed spectrum; Contact point.
- Time for a Change. Dimperio, Michael J. // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Feb2004, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p24
Points out that in order to deliver convergent services in a timely, accurate and cost-effective way, U.S. telecommunications operators must transform their legacy BSS (business support systems) environments into component-based architectures. Advantage of providing operators...
- Destination 2010. Nelson, Mary // Communications Technology;Dec2005, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p48
The article presents information about the Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers Conference on Emerging Technologies 2006. The conference's program subcommittee have decided several provocative issues that would be considered in it. It can be safely predicted that there would be more...
- WorldCom pilots On-Net. Rendleman, John // PC Week;10/05/98, Vol. 15 Issue 40, p3
Examines On-Net, a business service from MCI WorldCom Inc. that provides corporations with a single service that integrates local, long-distance and international voice, data and Internet services. Potential cost savings; Where it is available as of October 1998; Why some corporations are...
- Internet Librarian. Janes, Joseph // American Libraries;Mar2005, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p72
Focuses on issues concerning the availability of downloadable audio books from libraries, through the Internet. Considerations in offering a competitive service; Approaches to circulation models.
- Cablevision price cuts irk market. Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;6/22/2004, Vol. 283 Issue 55, p6
Reports on the cut-price triple-play bundle of video, data and unlimited long-distance voice call offered by Cablevision in the United States. Price competition among cable and telecommunication providers; Speculation on the competitive response of regional Bell operating companies.
- Local Bandwidth Costs Refusing to Budge. Rendleman, John // PC Week;11/30/98, Vol. 15 Issue 48, p8
Examines the high cost of local data transmission in late 1998 because of the lack of widespread competition for the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOC). Existing alternatives to RBOC data connections; The lucrative local data market; How prices for local data transmission in 1998 compare...
- The Era of Low Tariff ends. Prashant, Pravin // Voice & Data;Feb2013, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p90
The author discusses the increase of telecommunication tariffs in India. He mentions several reasons on the tariff increase including the increase in input cost, the intense competition with operators, and data traffic. He also relates that telecommunication tariffs in India are expected to...