- No ordinary river. Gardner, Jessica // BRW;3/3/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p34
The article focuses on the Ord River Irrigation Scheme in Australia. Intended to prevent seasonal flooding and store water for irrigating large areas, the scheme is expected to increase the land available for agriculture by 57 percent. Changes like Kununurra's first commercial television...
- The taming of a vast wilderness. Slezak, Michael // New Scientist;7/12/2014, Vol. 223 Issue 2977, p6
The article discusses the possible consequences of a plan by the Liberal Party of Australia to develop tropical savannahs in the north of the country through agricultural planning. Topics include the possibility of environmental degradation, the impact of variable rainfall and weather, and the...
- Modelling Irrigation and Salinity Management Strategies in the Ord Irrigation Are. Ali, Riasat; Byrne, John; Slaven, Tara // Natural Resources (2158-706X);Sep2010, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p34
The Ord River Irrigation Area (ORIA) is located within northern Western Australia near the Northern Territory border. Since the beginning of irrigated agriculture in the ORIA the groundwater levels have been continuously rising and are now close to the soil surface in some parts of ORIA in...
- Winter rains have aided dry soils. Hollis, Paul L. // Southeast Farm Press;4/2/2008, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p1
The article reports that a program designed to compensate farmers for not irrigating during periods of drought will not be enacted in Georgia. This was mentioned at a recent statement from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD). According to Carol A. Couch, director of the EPD that...
- Grain filling and stem accumulation effects on durum wheat (Triticum Durum Desf.) yield under drought. EL FAKHRI, Mouna; MAHBOUB, Said; BENCHEKROUN, Mounsif; NSARELLAH, Nasserelhaq // Nature & Technology / Nature & Technologie;Jun2012, Issue 7, p67
In Mediterranean area, water deficit is the main factor limiting agricultural production. Durum wheat yield is greatly hampered by drought in the Mediterranean semi-arid areas. The duration and the rate of grain filling and the contribution of stem assimilates are likely to have important...
- Standard precipitation index to track drought and assess impact of rainfall on watertables in irrigation areas. Khan, S.; Gabriel, H. F.; Rana, T. // Irrigation & Drainage Systems;May2008, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p159
The Standard Precipitation Index (SPI) is employed to track drought and assess the impact of rainfall on shallow groundwater levels in three selected irrigation areas of the Murray-Darling Basin in Australia. The continuous SPI method can provide better means of quantifying rainfall variability...
- Drought leaves flint-dry farms, a meager Mississippi. Belsie, Laurent // Christian Science Monitor;4/14/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 100, p2
Reports on the conditions of the United States' midwestern drought and government plans to keep America prepared for future droughts.
- Help quench wildlife's thirst. ROLLINS, DALE // Farmer-Stockman;Aug2011, Vol. 101 Issue 8, p40
The article offers tips on how to address drought in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Irrigation info aplenty. // Australian Horticulture;May2011, p30
The article reviews the Irrigation Australia Limited web site available at www.irrigation.org.au.