The battle of Balsam Mountain
- Factors controlling nonlinearity in mechanically forced stationary waves over orography. Ringler, Todd D.; Cook, Kerry H. // Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences;11/15/97, Vol. 54 Issue 22, p2612
Studies the forcing of stationary waves by the earth's large-scale orography by the use of a nonlinear stationary wave model based on the quasigeostrophic equations. Information on the effects of wind speed, meridional temperature gradient, Ekman pumping parameter and other factors on the...
- Lee vorticity production by large-scale tropical mountain... Mozer, Joel B.; Zehnder, Joseph A. // Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences;2/15/96, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p521
Presents an analyst on the zonal easterly flow past large-scale tropical mountains. Affects of upstream blocking by the mountain range.
- Peak to peak to peak. Stuckey, S. // Boys' Life;Apr90, Vol. 80 Issue 4, p22
Summarizes Denver's Troop 199's hike last fall in which they climbed three mountains in one day. Mountains they climbed; Problems they encountered; Description of the hike. INSET: Know before you go..
- Climbing the walls. Daily, Laura // Boys' Life;Mar1993, Vol. 83 Issue 3, p26
Describes artificial climbing walls which have inspired the whole new sport of `sport climbing.' Its popularity around the United States; Advantage over mountain climbing; The mental and physical challenge. INSETS: Sport climbing.;Build a wall..
- The challenge of Mount Rainier. Campbell, Todd // Boys' Life;Jul93, Vol. 83 Issue 7, p24
Discusses the climbing trip of Boy Scouts from Cascade Volcano Climbing Group, mostly from Troop 513 of Belfair, Washington. Scouts completed three-month safety course to be in group; Climbing Mount Rainier, a snowy, 14,410-foot volcano in Washington State; Climbing from Camp Hazard; What the...
- They strained. They froze. They loved it. Hostetter, Kristin // Backpacker;May97, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p101
Presents the people who participated in the 5-day pack test conducted by Backpacker magazine. Personal information and hiking experiences of Tom Coleman, Gwen Hembrock, Josh Stephenson, Mark Jenkins, Layne Kennedy and the author.
- A grand obsession. McGivney, Anneth // Backpacker;June97, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p46
Presents information about the joy of hiking in the Grand Canyon according to some people who are called `Grand Canyon Knights.' Reasons why these people love to hike in the Grand Canyon; Reason why Harvey Butchart was called the undisputed king of extreme and obsessive Grand Canyon hiker;...
- Keeping your bearings. Krautwurst, Terry // Backpacker;June97, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p102
Presents techniques on how to get back on track when a hiker lost its trail in the wilderness. Suggestions to hikers regarding staying found technique when lost in the wilderness. INSET: Where on Earth Am I? by Terry Krautwurst..
- Growing Mountains In South America. Gorman, Jim; Morris, Michele J.; Newquist, Susan // Backpacker;Oct99, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p20
Reports that South America's Andes Mountains are growing half inch a year.
- The Joy of Sax. Hogan, Thom // Backpacker;Aug2000, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p11
Describes the joy experience by a mountaineer who climbed the Desolation Wilderness in California.