Heartland's Devalued Funds Prompt Third Suit; Two More in the Pipeline
- First Security faces another class action lawsuit. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;06/19/2000, Vol. 29 Issue 51, p19
Reports the class action lawsuit filed against First Security Corp. in the United States. Representation of the common stock purchasers of the company in the case by Schiffrin & Barroway LLP; Allegations of Schiffrin & Barroway; Effort of the plaintiff to recover damages on behalf of class...
- Class Action Filed Against MBIA Charging Securities Fraud. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;4/7/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32106, p3
Reports on the class action lawsuit filed by Schiffrin & Barroway LLP against officers of MBIA Inc. in a federal court in New York. Facts of the case; Dispute over securities laws; Complaints on financial law violations.
- Judge Appoints Lead Plaintiff Group vs. Heartland. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;04/02/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31109, p45
Reports that a group led by Walter T. Kirkbride, former chief investment officer of Conseco Risk Management Inc., was appointed lead plaintiff in a United States-based class action lawsuit brought against Heartland Advisors Inc. Justification for the appointment of Kirkbride's group as the lead...
- Wyeth's New Worry. // njbiz;7/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 29, p2
Reports on the lawsuit filed against Wyeth by Schiffrin and Barroway on behalf of all women who were prescribed the hormone replacement drug Prempro, in July 2002. Components of the drug; Side effects of the drug.
- Losses in Heartland's High-Yield Funds Prompt Suits. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;10/31/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31007, p6
Reports that investors in two Heartland Advisors Inc.'s municipal bond funds have filed a securities violations lawsuit against Heartland in federal court in the United States. Alleged misrepresentation of risk in the portfolio's security holdings and true net asset values; Loss of the...
- Furnace makers target plastic vent pipe failures. Mader, Robert P. // Contractor Magazine;Jun97, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p1
Reports on a lawsuit filed in Massachusetts against several manufacturers of plastic vent pipes by a number of furnace makers. Furnace manufacturers' claims against the manufacturers of these pipes; Charges of the lawsuit.
- Courts Challenged On Approval Of Class Action Suit Certifications Despite Geographic Diversities. // Insurance Advocate;3/31/2003, Vol. 114 Issue 13, p20
Reports on the efforts of Washington Legal Foundation to induce the Oklahoma Supreme Court to limit the certification of class action lawsuits despite geographic diversities. Application of the Michigan Law; Avoidance of the trial judge in unmanageability problem.
- `Sprawling' asbestos class loses certification. Goodman III, William F. // Defense Counsel Journal;Oct97, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p633
Discusses class actions on asbestos litigation under Rule 23. Requisites of Rule 23; Implications of the over-all tone of Justice Ginsburg's opinion; Heightening of the settlements standard.
- Tide turning for medical monitoring class actions? // Defense Counsel Journal;Jan1998, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p154
Discusses a case which demonstrated the unsettled nature of the law governing certification of medical monitoring class actions. Article written by D. Jeffrey Campbell and Anne K. No in the newsletter of the Toxic and Hazardous Substances Litigation; Details of the `Arch versus American Tobacco...