Will Avilamycin Convert Ziracine into Zerocine?
- CHOICE OF ANTIBIOTIC FOR EMPIRICAL THERAPY OF ACUTE CYSTITIS IN A SETTING OF HIGH ANTIMICROBIAL RESISTANCE. Biswas, Debasis; Gupta, Pratima; Prasad, Ramjee; Singh, Vikram; Arya, Muktanjali; Kumar, Ashish // Indian Journal of Medical Sciences;Feb2006, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p53
BACKGROUND: A high prevalence of antimicrobial resistance among urinary isolates in the Garhwal region of Uttaranchal. AIMS: To identify the most appropriate antibiotic for empirical treatment of community-acquired acute cystitis on the basis of local antimicrobial sensitivity profile. SETTINGS...
- Maximizing Antimicrobial Efficacy, Minimizing Antimicrobial Resistance: A Paradigm for the New Millennium. Zinner, Stephen; Wise, Richard; Moellering Jr., Robert // Clinical Infectious Diseases;9/15/2001 Supplement 3, Vol. 33, pS107
Discusses the maximization of antimicrobial efficacy and resistance. Recognition of antibiotic resistance as a threat to public health; Concerns regarding drug overdose.
- Microbial Keratitis. // Review of Optometry;1/15/2008 Corneal Atlas Supplement, Vol. 145, p16
The article offers information on microbial keratitis (MK) disease in cornea. It relates that cornea can prevent invasion by bacteria, but it depends on an intact epithelial surface and a normal tear flow, otherwise, it cites that patients with MK usually experience a decrease vision and rapid...
- Complementary or alternative? The use of homeopathic products and antibiotics amongst pre-school children. Wye, Lesley; Hay, Alastair D.; Northstone, Kate; Bishop, Jackie; Headley, Judith; Thompson, Elizabeth // BMC Family Practice;2008, Vol. 9, Special section p1
Background: Any intervention to reduce the inappropriate use of antibiotics for infections in children has the potential to reduce the selective pressure on antimicrobial resistance and minimise the medicalisation of self-limiting illness. Little is known about whether homeopathic products might...
- Is it bacterial or viral? A simple blood test can make a quick determination. // Canadian Nursing Home;Oct2004, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p30
Provides information on a study on determining if a person would benefit from antibiotic treatment using blood test. Study methods; Findings.
- Myxosarcoma in a male German shepherd dog: clinical and pathological findings. Ezema, W. S.; Udegbunam, S. O.; Udegbunam, R. I.; Nnaji, T.; Eze, A. C.; Okoye, J. O. A.; Kene, R. O. C. // Comparative Clinical Pathology;Nov2009, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p477
A 5-year-old male German shepherd dog presented with lameness and a swollen thigh muscle that resisted various antibiotic therapies. Only blood was aspirated from the swollen area. Haematology showed anaemia and neutrophilia. Enzyme assay revealed increased values for aspartate amino transferase...
- Hospital antibiogram: A necessity. Joshi, S. // Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology;Oct2010, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p277
The hospital antibiogram is a periodic summary of antimicrobial susceptibilities of local bacterial isolates submitted to the hospital's clinical microbiology laboratory. Antibiograms are often used by clinicians to assess local susceptibility rates, as an aid in selecting empiric antibiotic...
- Antibiotics: Dos and Don'ts. Etingin, Orli R. // Women's Health Advisor;Sep2012, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p1
In this article, the author discusses the positive and negative aspects associated with the use of antibiotics and antimicrobial agents. She opines that overuse of antibiotics has led to the development of resistant bacteria that can grow in the presence of antibiotics and this can lead to...
- NITROFURANTOIN. GRIFFITH, H. WINTER // Complete Guide to Prescription & Nonprescription Drugs 2012;2010, p608
The article presents information on nitrofurantoin, an antimicrobial drug, including its dosage, usage, adverse reactions, side effects, precautions when administering, and possible interaction with other drugs.