RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- Leader Biography. // Slovakia Country Review;2010, p36
The article offers information on the 2009 presidential election in Slovakia wherein President Ivan Gasparovic won the position and profiles Prime Minister Robert Fico who founded the Smer Party in 1999.
- OECD: Time for reforms is now. // International Trade Forum;2014, Issue 2, p6
The article focuses on the latest Economic Outlook of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) launched in 2014 which call on urgent economic reforms to further reduce unemployment and address other legacies from the crisis.
- Slovakia. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: The Slovak Republic;Jan2010, p1
The article presents information on Slovak Republic including its economy, politics and religion. According to the May 2001 census, its population is 5,379,455. The religions of people in the country include Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic and Orthodox. In terms of agriculture, their products...
- ECONOMY. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: The Slovak Republic;Feb2007, p4
The article discusses the economic conditions of Slovakia. From a centrally-planned economy, the Slovak economy was transformed into a market-oriented economy in 1993. However, economic reforms slowed during the administration of Prime Minister Vladimir Meciar due to crony capitalism and...
- Agriculture: Some primary facts. Cahill, Carmel // OECD Observer;Dec99, Issue 219, p31
Reports on the issue of assistance to agricultural producers in member-countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Differences in the level of support based on the Producer Support Estimate; Reasons behind the member-governments' support for their...
- Structural adjustment and learning to live without subsidies in OECD countries. Blandford, David; Dewbre, Joe // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Dec94, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p1047
Focuses on structural adjustments and the impact of the elimination of agricultural subsidies in Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. Reasons for a low transfer efficiency ratio of subsidies to farm incomes; Subsidies and equity.
- Building a Political Settlement: The International Approach to Kenya's 2008 Post-Election Crisis. Kanyinga, Karuti; Walker, Sophie // Stability: International Journal of Security & Development;2013, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p1
This paper presents findings from an empirical study of the 2008 Kenyan crisis, aimed at exploring the role and effectiveness of the international development and diplomatic communities' response. This response involved working to ameliorate the fragile political environment that followed the...
- Improving conditions for innovation and growth. // OECD Economic Surveys: Slovak Republic;Sep2005, Vol. 2005 Issue 16, p89
This chapter discusses policy reforms in a wide range of structural policy areas that may help to raise productivity and the level of human capital in the economy and prompt additional job creation. It highlights the fact that Slovakia is only part-way through a major transformation of the...
- A Comprehensive and Contextual Review of Polish Taxation in 2005. Hunter Jr., Richard J.; Shapiro, Robert E.; Ryan, Leo V. // International Tax Journal;Fall2005, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p23
The article looks into the essential aspects of taxation in Poland in response to its economic reforms and provides a retrospect on the policy initiatives which were instrumental to the economic transformation as well as tax reform of the country. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and...