Globalstar Flouts Bankruptcy Buzz
- Reading the Stars. Fingar, Courtney // Export Today's Global Business;Jan2001, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on Globalstar, a satellite phone company that is rumored to be on the verge of bankruptcy. Companies supporting and investing in Globalstar; Effect of Iridium's bankruptcy on the global satellite service market; Problem with the global satellite service market; Company's marketing plan;...
- Saving face. Luna, Lynnette // Telephony;01/22/2001, Vol. 240 Issue 4, p82
Deals with the efforts of the mobile satellite industry to survive the market in 2001. Globalstar's financial condition in 2000; Number of subscribers posted by the company in the third quarter of 2000; Challenge facing the company in distinguishing itself from Iridium; Efforts made by the...
- Globalstar to be used in Brazil's election. // RCR Wireless News;10/14/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p49
Reports on the use of a satellite phone system from Globalstar by Brazilian citizens to cast votes in the presidential elections. Process of the casting of votes using the satellite phone system.
- Globalstar Is Falling Back To Earth--Fast. Kahn, Jeremy // Fortune;11/27/2000, Vol. 142 Issue 13, p64
This article reports on the financial difficulties faced by Globalstar in October 2000. Globalstar, which had hoped to use a network of 52 satellites in low-earth orbit to provide wireless communication to every corner of the globe, shocked shareholders in late October when it announced mounting...
- Milcomm Role for Globalstar? Dornheim, Michael A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/6/2000, Vol. 153 Issue 19, p62
Reports on the evaluation of Globalstar's hand-held satellite phones by the United States Defense Department and national security agencies to establish communications in potential theaters of operation. Possible solution for some of the military's communications needs where antijam and low...
- Globalstar targets South America. // RCR Wireless News;2/19/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p60
Reports on the deals closed by Globalstar with South American satellite communication carriers, Telefonica Movil, Ancel and Telecom Personal, for cellular telephone coverage.
- Calls in space. Koprowski, Gene // Entrepreneur;Apr99, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p32
Provides information on satellite telephone systems. Comparison of telecommunication capacity with cellular and digital wireless telephones; Mechanics of sending telephone signals to any place on earth; Costs; Companies that offer satellite telephone service.
- Electronics Buyer's Guide. Smith, Michael A. // Yachting;May99, Vol. 185 Issue 5, p30
Discusses the increase in use of satellite communications. Comparison between satellite telephones and portable phones; Time lag of Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) satellites; Cost of the Iridium system.
- Phones sans frontiers? Sykes, Lisa // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);May97, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p34
Provides an overview on innovations in satellite telephone technology. Capabilities of the Global Mobile Personal Communications by Satellite (GMPCS); Comparison between geostationary and non-geostationary satellites; Benefits of GMPCS over conventional mobile phones; Difficulties imposed by...