Oklahoma Lawmakers Seek to Arrest High Costs of Incarceration
- Colorado: Revolving Prisoners. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/13/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31264, p29
Reports on an announcement made by Denver, Colorado officials regarding release of nonviolent prisoners from the city-county government's overcrowded jails following sale of general obligation bonds to pay for another facility. Opposition to the plan of construction of another facility; Other...
- Gov. Davis' Budget Seeks $220 Million in 'Death Row' Bonds. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;1/15/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31553, p3
Reports that California Governor Gray Davis proposed that the state budget would use 220 million dollars in lease revenue bonds to expand death row at the state's oldest prison, San Quentin. Details of the bond deal; Factors contributing to the bond issue; Details of the prison.
- Look, No Bonds: Rehabilitation Saves Texas Prisons Money. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;03/13/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31095, p30
Focuses on the bond package for the construction of prisons in Texas. Account of the decline in prisoner population; Factors underlying the decline of inmates; Characterization of the prison system.
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;05/29/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31148, p39
Reports on developments related to bonds in southwestern states as of May 29, 2001. Relocation of county inmates and state prisoners from the Pulaski County Jail in Arkansas to provide room for offenders expected to be taken in over the Memorial Day weekend; Forecast lack of impact on bond...
- With Upcoming GO Sale, Nevada Will Buy Out Privately Run Prison. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;8/14/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31202, p3
Reports that Nevada will sell 72.76 million dollars in general obligation bonds in three series that will allow the state to assume ownership of a prison for women in North Las Vegas. Structure of the bonds; Other uses of the proceeds from the bond issue.
- New Mexico counties on the verge of issuing debt to finance prisons. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;07/23/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30193, p2
Highlights New Mexico counties, Lea and Guadalupe's agreement to issue a project revenue bonds costing $85 million for privately managed prisons that will relieve overcrowding in the state's existing jails. Lawmakers's debates on the financing plan; Details to be resolved in the financing plan.
- Prisons: A growth industry. Karchmer, Jennifer // Bond Buyer;06/03/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30654, p1
Focuses on the growth potentials of bond issues to finance the construction of prisons in the United States. Demographic changes among inmates which necessitates the construction of new facilities; Observation of the demand from Fitch IBCA analyst Richard Raphael.
- Georgia Jail Faces Debt Challenges After INS Housecleaning. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;05/26/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30900, p3
Reports on the plan of South Fulton Municipal Regional Jail to lease excess space to other jurisdictions to house their inmates to pay off a bond issue. Number of detainees in the jail; Details with bond payments.
- Texas Prison Officials Unveil New Building Proposal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;08/11/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30952, p3
Reports on Texas prison officials' proposed general obligation bonds. Structure of the bonds; Construction of three maximum-security prisons.