Who Gets Ways & Means?
- Investors' pal at Ways and Means. Egan, Jack // U.S. News & World Report;12/5/94, Vol. 117 Issue 22, p103
Focuses on Bill Archer, a Texan who hates big government who is about to become head of the House Ways and Means Committee. How the conservative from Houston is in the driver's seat after having his pro-investment ideas blocked and ignored for 24 years; What he hopes to accomplish; View on the...
- Look for Crane to be passed over. // National Journal;11/01/97, Vol. 29 Issue 44, p2179
Reports that insiders looking beyond the chairmanship of Bill Archer of Texas at the House Ways and Means Committee agree that William M. Thomas of California will probably replace him in 2001.
- Archer bows. // American Spectator;Jan1996, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p14
Reports that the Bill Archer, Chairman of the House Ways and Means was not given a more active role in the Budget debate.
- Republicans seek long-term-care tax breaks. Gardner, Jonathan // Modern Healthcare;07/12/99, Vol. 29 Issue 28, p14
Offers a look at the tax breaks offered by the United States House Republicans to people buying long-term care insurance or caring for disabled elderly people at home. Details of the proposal drafted by the Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Archer; Advantages to employees; Comments from...
- Chairman Bill Archer Has Made a Difference. Cherry, Sheila R. // Insight on the News;04/24/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 15, p36
Interviews Representative Bill Archer, the chairman of the United States Congress House Ways and Means Committee regarding politics and his career. Comments on his retirement in November 2000; Top accomplishment in his career; Views on debating on welfare reform; Opinion on tax relief.
- Archer seeks sub-Saharan trade breaks. Barrett, Joyce // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;1/21/1998, Vol. 175 Issue 12, p23
Talks about the proposal of Texas Representative and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Archer to expand free-trade benefits to qualifying Sub-Sahara African countries. Opposition of the textile industry on the African trade plan; Statistics on the proposed reduction of taxes; Minimum...
- House Panel to Consider Bill Raising Private-Activity Cap. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;09/16/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30479, p1
Focuses on the legislation proposed by United States House Ways and Means Committee chairman Bill Archer that would increase the private-activity bond volume cap by 50 percent. Part of Archer's tax cut package; Arbitrage provision of the bill appreciated by municipal market participants and...
- Tax credit plan faces revisions, uphill battles. // Nation's Restaurant News;10/9/95, Vol. 29 Issue 39, p32
Reports that the US House Ways and Means Committee members have convinced Rep. Bill Archer to increase the Work Opportunities Tax Credit included in his tax plan from 25 to 35 percent.
- Senate fight is expected on health bill. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;4/1/96, Vol. 30 Issue 14, p1
Scrutinizes a health care reform bill approved by the House of Representatives. Information on the bill; Positive aspects of the bill; Remark by Bill Archer, House Ways and Means Committee; Opposition of the legislation; Disadvantages of the bill; View of Christina Nyquist, Blue Cross & Blue...