Carnahan Leaves Legacy of Publicly Financed Projects
- Compassionate conservatives. Corrigan, Don // St. Louis Journalism Review;Nov2000, Vol. 30 Issue 231, p6
Comments on remarks made by religious conservatives in Saint Louis, Missouri over the radio following news of Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan's death. Declaration of Governor Roger Wilson that made the radio talk more compassionate; Sympathy for the late governor's wife; Cause of Carnahan's death.
- Missouri Grieves for A Friend. Bai, Matt // Newsweek;10/30/2000, Vol. 136 Issue 18, p42
Reports on the death of Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan in an airplane accident with his son, Randy, and political aide Chris Sifford. Background on Carnahan's career; Effect of Carnahan's death on the Missouri election; Efforts of Democrats to regain control of both houses of the United States...
- Missouri unveils `radical' reform plan. Mulcahy, Colleen // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;2/14/94, Vol. 98 Issue 7, p3
Focuses on the proposed health care program of Mel Carnahan, Missouri's governor. Restructuring of health insurance and delivery care systems; Specification of provisions; Implications of integrated service networks (ISN) to health care market.
- Missouri kids health bill advances. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;4/28/97, Vol. 101 Issue 17, p1
Reports on the approval of a proposal by Governor Mel Carnahan, given by the Missouri House of Representatives, to establish a children's health insurance program. Predictions of observers; Announced plan of Carnahan; How the plan was used by Representative Scott Lakin and Representative Sheila...
- Begging your pardon. // State Government News;Mar95, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p34
Relates how 10-year-old Cody McGannon of Kansas City wrote a letter to Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan when he was grounded by his parents. The boy's desire to have his parents reconsider his grounding; Executive clemency granted by the governor; Publicity generated by the pardon given McGannon.
- Mournful Bugle Call. Cooper, Matthew; Thigpen, David E. // Time;10/30/2000, Vol. 156 Issue 18, p42
Discusses the death of Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan in a airplane crash. His campaign for the United States Senate; How his death diminishes the hopes of the Democratic Party to gain control over the U.S. Senate; Predicted election of Republican incumbent Senator John Ashcroft.
- Mo. Governor Requests $365 Million In New Taxes for Finance Reforms. West, Peter // Education Week;4/21/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 30, p21
The article informs that Missouri's Governor Mel Carnahan has requested lawmakers to raise 365 million dollars in new taxes to fund reforms in the state school-finance system. A state judge in January 1993 had declared that the existing school-funding system was unconstitutional and ordered...
- Trumpeting tax hike, Mo. governor widens lead. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;10/23/96, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p16
Reports on Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan's support for the tax hike in education. Missouri Auditor Margaret Kelly's opposition to the tax hike; Cause of the eruption of tax issue in the state.
- Mo. Governor Ditches Plan To Offer Education Package. West, Peter // Education Week;3/24/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 26, p35
This article reports that governor Mel Carnahan of Missouri has shelved a campaign promise to introduce a package of education-reform measures in order to allow lawmakers to concentrate on meeting a judicially imposed deadline for revising the state's school-finance formula. He made his...